Sneeze Fetish Forum

Quizzed about handkerchiefs by a colleague

Trynasneeze

Yesterday at work I sneezed. There's a bunch of colds going around, everyone is dealing with a bit of the sniffles right now, and I'm not the exception. 

I have a raging sore throat, mild congestion, not a runny nose but I have a perpetual sniffle in there somewhere, and when I sneeze (which is fairly frequent) I have to blow my nose. 

So I turned away from my colleague, A, who I was working with, and blew my nose, quickly folding and repocketing my hanky afterwards. 

Then the questions began: 

"Why do you use a hanky?" 

I told her that I preferred them, and asked if it was weird. 

"Not really, just different. You aren't super old and they are kind of an old person thing". 

A is 18 and I am 30, so I'm glad to hear I'm not classified as old yet. 

"I don't mean this in a judgy way", she carried on. "But don't they get pretty gross after a while? Do you have to wash it out a lot?"

I explained that I have a lot and change them at least daily, they get washed like any other laundry. 

"Do you carry one every day?" 

I said I mostly do. 

Then she continued, "What if you've got like a really bad cold?"

"What about it?" I asked. 

"Do you just use the same one all day or?"

"Heck no", I replied. "They're big enough for a few blows but when you have a cold you bring a few of them with you". 

"Ohh, interesting. I've never really thought how it would work before", she said. Then she changed the topic back to work. 

I think she was just genuinely curious and has never really known anyone who used a handkerchief before but it was fun to share. 

Depending on how established and friendly the work relationship was, I might be tempted to ask her if she'd be interested in having her own handkerchief to try out. If the interest was there, then it's a simple matter to advise how she would get one. If there's no interest, then there's still the rest of the world to discuss (and work to do, of course!)

Sounds like you kept it light and casual. Depending on how it was going, I might have half-joked "It's ecological!"

Joe Flanigan from Stargate: Atlantis defended his handkerchief use that way at a sci-fi convention, when his co-star David Hewlett pretended to be freaking out about it.