Sneeze Fetish Forum

the longevity of treasured things

launderedlace

This handkerchief, embroidered with initials 'FK', looks like it's well over 100 years old. It was clearly loved (and well used) by its original owner - just look at the myriad of careful repairs!

FKrepairs1resized.thumb.JPG.08c2e1800bf48f812569d39e35681d96.JPGFKcloseup.thumb.JPG.80ad9566317d6f141a4e50bd58f4ca5a.JPG

@launderedlace Wow, this is really a precious "antique" piece! The embroidery is so beautiful and delicate. Just imagine, if that handkerchief could talk... What stories it could tell us about its use! I wonder if the gentleman who owned it (it looks like a man's hanky to me) ever used it to tend to a beloved lady's sneezy nose?... 😊 💛

Hi @kiku - now you've got me wondering - I'd assumed, because of its scalloped edge, that it was a ladies handkerchief, despite its large size. I have a couple of others that came with it, although they're in a sadder state of repair; one has the same initials, the other has a different second initial, which again makes me think they belonged to a lady whose name changed when she married. Like you, I really can't imagine that this handkerchief was only used by one person; I'm also sure that it had a number of secret (and open) admirers as it fluttered its way around social gatherings in Victorian times! 😘

A lovely handkerchief, which am sure has its legacy

1 hour ago, kiku said:

Hi @launderedlace Oh, I see... Actually, I automatically thought it was a men's handkerchief because of the colour and pattern. But who knows?... 😊

Hi @kiku - I certainly don't know! 😂 ... maybe in the 1870s (but I'm totally guessing the handkerchief's vintage, as well) there was such a thing as a unisex handkerchief? I've found one of the 'sister' handkerchiefs, also embroidered 'FK' but in a slightly different style ... when I get properly organised, I'll save the various photos in the SFF Gallery so they don't disappear in a few days (hopefully!)

15 hours ago, Hankysneeze said:

A lovely handkerchief, which am sure has its legacy

Agree, and I'm sure it has got an interesting legacy, it's just that I don't know what that legacy is ... so that's where imagination can come in! 🙂