Sneeze Fetish Forum

Exposure Therapy (Mental, Dr Veronica Hayden-Jones) 2 parts, complete.

Chanel_no5

***Note***

Um, hello. This is your friendly neighbourhood forest goblin back with a new fic. 🤪 This is part one of two. 

As usual, I don't expect anyone to actually be familiar with this show, it's from -09 and only ran for a single season. It's quite good though. Shoutout to @sappho who's still too shy to post here but who was the one who made sure I got to see the show and subsequently write this fic. :lol: Hi. :P  Thank you. 💕

Okay, background: Veronica is a psychiatrist at a psych ward, in charge of the open clinic program but also working cases where her new boss Jack (whose job she was hoping to get) directs her. She's a by-the-book doctor who started out having real issues with Jack and his controversial approach to psychiatry, but has to admit that some of his ideas, while out there, actually work better than the by-the-book ones. Since the show is from 13 years ago, some treatments and diagnosis are outdated while some "controversial" treatments are mainstream now, but for those of us who were in contact with the psychiatry back then, it definitely rings a bell. :lol: 

For visuals, since I don't think anyone has seen the show, here's Veronica (and Jack). Yes. It's the same actress as, um, all fanfic characters I've written for quite some time now. :shy: (Janice, Diana, Kath, Dr Weaver... but come on, what can I say, she's gorgeous. :dribble: )

Spoiler

EJeE93B.gif

QVCtLmZ.gif

“Where’s Veronica?” Jack asked, as he looked around the table. “It’s not like her to be late to staff meetings. She loves meetings.”

“For the record, Jack, no one loves meetings,” Chloe said. “It’s just that the rest of us wants to keep things somewhat organised.”

“So you do love meetings,” Jack said as if it was self-evident, when someone opened the door and walked right in. “Ah, there you are, Veronica, I hope you’re late because you did something spontaneous on your way to work – “

“Does albost crashing by car because I had a sdeezing fit while driving count?”

There was silence while the rest of the staff processed her arrival – some translating her congestion-saturated speech, some just trying to reconcile Veronica’s usual put-together appearance with this walking pestilence. From her elegant high heel shoes to the fitted black slacks, crisp white blouse and black slipover, she looked every bit as professional and composed as usual. But that was it. Her auburn hair was dishevelled, her normally very fair complexion a sickly pale with flushed cheeks. She sported dark circles around puffy, watery eyes, and her nose was a painful-looking, inflamed red. Her nostrils and upper lip were visibly chapped and raw.

When she went to sit down at her usual place, Carl moved his chair away from hers.

“I’m not volunteering to catch that,” he muttered.

“Oh if odly I had knowd that,” Veronica shot back and rolled her eyes, then wiped her nose with the pathetic, soggy tissue she carried, “… but I had do idea getting sick was voludtary… aahhESSSHH!” It was a strong, juicy sneeze and she barely managed to contain the spray into the used Kleenex. “Ugh, ’scuse be.”

She proceeded to blow her nose, trying to be as discreet about it as possible but, this was a nasty cold. A very... audible cold. Carl cringed at the thick sound and didn't even try to hide it. Chloe and Arturo were better at hiding their repulsion, but Veronica saw the micro expressions of disgust on their faces.

“Yeah, well, sorry guys, I didn’t exactly get sick on purpose.”  

“You look, uh… contagious,” Chloe commented.

“Yes!” Jack exclaimed, dropping his pen on the table then giving the polished teak a pat with the palm of his hand for emphasis. “You do look contagious, Veronica!”

She gave him a weird look.

“And that is why I was going to ask if any of you can take my open clinic group this morning," she said, sounding much better after blowing her nose, but it was still very obvious that she was sick, and the congestion was still there... not quite stealing her n's and m's, but making plans to. 

“It’s Monday," she continued. "The morning group is the OCD patients, some of them presenting with severe mysophobia.” Her elegantly arched, deeply red nostrils twitched, and she sniffled and rubbed the side of her nose with her fingertips. The itch was relentless, it only varied in intensity. “If I walk in there like this, my very presence will singlehandedly undo six months of intense therapy… uh, sorry, I h-have to… ah.. sneeze agaihhh… haaaESSCHHH! Uhh… ahhESSSHH!”

“Actually, I think this is perfect,” Jack said. Veronica raised her eyebrows. “They’ve made huge progress, and it was about time they got started on some exposure therapy anyway. Your cold has an impeccable timing.”

“Can’t say I agree,” Veronica muttered and coughed. “I really don’t think it’s a good idea, Jack, honestly. Yes, exposure therapy, but the plan was, something like getting into an elevator and have them push the buttons without disinfecting everything before and after.”

“This is better,” Jack insisted.

“I’m their doctor,” Veronica argued. “I’m supposed to be the safe one. The one they can trust throughout the treatment.”

“Exactly. They have to accommodate in their mind the fact that even you can catch a cold and since they trust you…”

“No, Jack,” Veronica said, “it’s gonna end up in a setback… ahhhyESSSHH!! Heh-ISSSHHH! Oh by God… uhhhESSSCHH!”

“Bless you. No, I think you should just stick to the regular schedule today – you do art therapy with them currently, right?”

Veronica nodded. She was already regretting not simply taking a sick day today. Damn Rylan, it was just her luck that he’d pass his cold on to her after their quickie in the locker room on Friday lunch break. And he had only been a bit sniffly, it was almost cute, and then she ended up with this messy, miserable monster of a cold. 

“Fantastic. Do the usual. Hand out material. Lean over them looking at their work.”

“If any of them catch this from me…” she began.

“It’s a cold, Veronica. Now, I know you’re an A-type personality, but you wouldn’t go to work, in a hospital no less, if you thought it was anything worse than that, would you?”

“Of course not.” She sounded appalled that he’d even suggest that.

He shrugged.

“Good. And none of those patients actually have compromised immune systems, right?”

“No, but…”

“Good. Maybe catching a cold in a safe environment from the doctor they trust is easier to handle than if they get it from a stranger on the subway, even?”

Veronica shook her head, but she wasn’t trying to argue. Jack had made up his mind. She wasn’t going to win, and at most, she’d only manage to lose her voice on top of all other disgrace.

Jack rushed through the rest of the meeting with his usual impatience, and Veronica was suffering through her body’s attempt at counterattacking the viral infection, pressing her knuckles against her itchy nose in an attempt at keeping it in check. The tissue had put on a valiant effort to keep up with her streaming cold, but it was used well beyond its capacity by this point.

“Alright everyone, let’s go to work,” Jack wrapped up the meeting.

As the team of psychiatrists began to leave the conference room, he stopped Veronica.

“Just don’t sneeze. That might end up being too much for them right off the bat.”

“I have a cold, Jack, I’m definitely going to sneeze, and more than once at that,” Veronica objected, but to no avail. Jack had already left and walked down the corridor to Nora’s office, to leave a report or piss her off, most likely both.

Veronica looked after him in disbelief, then threw her arms out in a gesture of resignation.

“Fine, I’ll go traumatise my patients, oh, but without sneezing, good plan Jack, what the hell am I even doing here today… aaaeeeSSSHH!”

She sneezed against the back of her wrist, then went to find some fresh tissues. She was at least going to downplay this cold as much as humanly possible, that much she could do.

However much that is, she thought to herself, knowing that she looked like that plague carrier that these patients would normally gnaw their own arm off to escape from, and the exaggeration was only slight. It was actual fear for them, not the snobbish 'I don't want your peasant germs' that Carl had expressed.

I should have called in sick. Oh my God I should have called in sick. 

Edited by Chanel_no5
fixed a few things
20 hours ago, webmeistro said:

This looks like fun :)

For the writer, hell yeah :twisted: , for the readers, hopefully ^_^ , for the protagonist, not so much. :shifty:  Thank you! 

I apologize for spamming you with comments; I haven’t been around for a while. Last one, I promise!

Veronica’s cold is wow. It’s amazing. Using her cold as a form of exposure therapy does make me cringe. I enjoyed reading this so much, but I’d absolutely run away screaming if my therapist came in with a cold like this! 

(also now I’m trying to think of the differences between therapy now vs 13 years ago. 😂)

2 hours ago, Purplelily said:

I apologize for spamming you with comments; I haven’t been around for a while. Last one, I promise!

Veronica’s cold is wow. It’s amazing. Using her cold as a form of exposure therapy does make me cringe. I enjoyed reading this so much, but I’d absolutely run away screaming if my therapist came in with a cold like this! 

(also now I’m trying to think of the differences between therapy now vs 13 years ago. 😂)

Oh my God, I would too. :lol:  So don't believe for a second this is something I would want to see happen in real life. Probably wouldn't happen in real life either, even pre-pandemic when this is set, because Jack is very unconventional in his methods. He would argue that you can't do psychiatric treatment in a too-controlled environment if you want the patient to return to society, because the world isn't a controlled environment, it's loud, chaotic and messy (I think he used those exact words in one episode). Poor Veronica really did try to get someone else to cover for her in that group though... but Jack has also taken patients outside to do relay races instead of doing rounds, forcing the other doctors to do three-legged-race with the patients to establish trust, so his ideas are... not conventional. :rolleyes:  So yeah, Veronica wouldn't do it if she wasn't ordered to, and she's worked with these patients for a long time and knows their deal, and she's really in an uncomfortable situation. That's what I'm going to focus on, how mortified she is about the whole thing and how hard she's going to try to suppress any cold symptoms, because contagion isn't my thing and I would personally be much more likely to be in that patient group than in the staff meeting, so to speak. :lol: 

(side note: in the episode I mentioned with the relay races, Veronica rolls on the grass in one scene, same episode there's a scene where she looks super allergic for no apparent reason, and one scene in the background where it looks like she's barely holding back a sneeze. So with that circumstantial evidence - on top of everything else I've noticed - I'm making the case that the actress has actual hayfever. And if that's true then I am over the moon. :inlove:  )

There were certain diagnosis and treatments that were used in the show that are obsolete by now. They have done a reasonably good job at staying respectful though.

And please don't ever apologise for commenting, I love reading your comments and it was a treat to log in and see that I had several notifications!! :heart: 

Omg I was just about to post this when the forum went down last night! :lol: Okay, so here's the rest of this fic... and I might very well write more about this character. I have a nice little plot bunny that includes equine (horse) therapy... and one that includes flower arranging as part of therapy... not sure which or where to go with it, so they're just on the plot bunny stage yet, buuuuuuut.. :twisted:  

(I should note that while I have been in therapy almost my entire life, I've never done exposure therapy, and this fic is based on a fictional TV show, so this is probably nowhere near how it's done, it's pure fiction. Just a little disclaimer. :lol: )

Putting on a mask, she felt at least a little bit less likely to ruin the progress they had made so far, but when she headed out from her office, she ran into Jack in the corridor.

“You going to scrub in for surgery or something, or what’s with the mask?” he joked.

“I’m going to traumatize my patients as little as necessary,” she replied.

“Take it off. Maybe one day we’ll have a pandemic or something, an actual reason to wear masks in public settings, and when that day happens, I hope everyone does wear them. But until then, if we want these patients to acclimatise back to the chaotic, messy world outside, shielding them from everything they will encounter once their symptoms are under control, while treating their symptoms, will only cause a shock and rapid regression once they’re out there on their own.”

When he presented it like that, it made sense, and it impressed and frustrated Veronica to no end how he could make all his insane ideas make sense.

“You said it yourself that I look contagious. I might be. Hell, I probably am. I don’t think exposure therapy is supposed to mean actually making germaphobes sick. That sounds a little unethical.”

She sniffled, as if to prove how miserable the cold was and how little anyone would want to have it.

“It has actually been proven that the more often a germaphobe gets sick, the less impact the phobia has,” Jack said.

“Yes, in some cases, or it ends up the other way around; it’s so traumatic that they turn that compulsion up a notch or two…” her voice trailed off, and while the mask hid most of her facial features, the sneezy look was clearly visible in and around her eyes. “Ugh, sorry, I… ahhhESSHH! Hahh… eeSSCHHeh-ihhSSHooo! Oh, that’s lovely..!”

Her voice was dripping with sarcasm, and behind the mask, her nose was dripping too, but with something else.

“Bless you.” Jack was grinning. She had a not very irrational feeling that this whole thing amused him.

“Thanks,” she muttered.

“Veronica? If you walk in there with a mask, you’re dramatizing this. Which is the exact opposite of what you should be doing. I’m not saying you should walk in there and sneeze on them, in fact I’m saying you should try not to sneeze at all, but you shouldn’t play into their fixation on germs.”

“You think of it as a low-affective response?” she said, and hated even more how much sense it made.

He pointed finger guns at her and winked.

“Exactly! Don’t walk in there and just tell them straight up that you’re sick. Act like it’s just another day. Let them bring it up.”

“And if they run screaming out of the room?”

He shrugged.

“They’re your patients. I’m sure you’ll know how to handle that reaction.”

He gave her that flash of a smile that was charming and annoying in equal measures, and walked off, whistling a carefree tune that didn’t seem to fit the surroundings at all.

Veronica watched him leave, then sneezed again, letting the mask take the full force and not even attempting to turn her head. Then she went to the ladies’ room to clean herself up.

Staring at her reflection in the mirror, she tried to give herself a pep talk, but if she was being completely honest, she looked awful. Even after reapplying makeup and adding some extra concealer under her eyes and around her nose, she still looked… sick. There was no nicer way to put it.

When she realised that the supposed pep talk had turned more into a self-deprecating rant, she shook her head and stared into her own eyes in the mirror.

“Don’t screw this up,” she said in a thick, husky voice.

Her nose made no promises.   

The first couple of minutes went reasonably well. She did the usual note-writing on the whiteboard, and while she kept her back to the group, she felt more confident, even if her voice betrayed her.

Turning back around to face them was difficult, especially seeing the different degrees of anxiety they showed, but doing what Jack had told her to, she didn’t comment on it, she only went ahead as usual. Although, she did keep more of a distance than usual. It was a miserable cold and she didn't want to pass it on to anyone either way.

She managed to fight back the urge to sneeze on three separate occasions, and while she was certain that at some point holding back wasn’t going to work, so far she felt rather confident.

It was fifteen minutes in, when she was seated next to Patrick and looking at the painting he was doing, that he brought it up, the first who did. He was trying his best to be polite, but she saw how anxious he was, and she felt bad.

“Dr Jones, um… sorry, I don’t mean to be disrespectful, but you look sick.”

“Oh, well… it’s only a slight cold. It’s not something you can even call in sick to work for,” she said. “So I had to come in anyway.” She paused. Well, it was supposed to work as exposure therapy according to Jack, so... “How does it make you feel?”

“Uhm…”

He made sure to put further distance between them. Veronica let him. In fact, if anyone decided to walk out on today’s session, she wasn’t going to attempt to talk them into staying. She didn’t blame anyone for their distress, she only felt bad that she was the one causing it. It was one thing to gently pressure them into facing whatever phobia they had, it was another thing altogether to be the embodiment of that phobia.

“It’s okay. I’m still the same person you spoke to last week.”

“I know, it’s just…” he cringed and shook his head as he moved his chair even further away from her. “I’m sorry, Dr Jones.”

“I know it’s difficult for you to be this close to me when I have a cold...”

She had deliberated with herself if she should phrase it as “sick” or specify it as “a cold”, or if the wording even mattered at all. She had never been in this situation before. She had terrible allergies in the summer, and would often end up stifling tickly allergy fits. She was always trying her very best not to sneeze in front of a patient but sometimes it just couldn’t be helped. She couldn’t remember having one of those fits in front of the mysophobic patients though. And when it came to random sneezes, she was pretty good at suppressing the urge when it was just a speck of dust or something.  

“… I know how anxious it makes you. I know it’s fear, not disrespect.”

Her head was pounding with a sinus headache and she once more thought about how much trouble it would have saved her if she had just called in sick. Or at least if any of her colleagues could have taken this particular group. But it wasn’t a bad enough cold to warrant taking a sick day, not when the ward was understaffed as usual.  

His eyes flickered back and forth, avoiding looking straight at her.

“What are you thinking right now?” she asked. Her nose was starting to run, and she knew she would have to sniffle at any moment, but she hoped to do that while he was speaking and hopefully he wouldn’t notice, at least that it wouldn’t be quite as obvious as it would be if she sniffled during silence, or while she was speaking herself. “I know it’s the phobia speaking, I won’t be offended.”

“I’m so sorry Dr Jones, but right now you make my skin crawl. I just… picture all the viruses teeming on everything you touch… coming out into the air when you breathe… when you cough… and sneeze… going everywhere, landing on surfaces that someone else touches…”

He made a grimace.

“I’m sorry but it’s so disgusting.”

“And what are you afraid will happen?”

“That I’ll get infected.” He sounded like she was a total idiot.  

“And what are you afraid of will happen then?” Her voice was as soft as the cold would allow. “It’s a head cold. It’s not pleasant, I’m not gonna say that, but it’s not dangerous. It lasts a few days. And then it’s over.”

“I know. I know. I just… sorry, can you just… step back?”

Veronica wasn’t going to push it. He wasn’t leaving, at least not yet, and for now, that was good enough for her. He had decided to endure exposure to Dr Plague-Carrier, whether it was for his own treatment’s sake, or because he didn’t want to hurt her feelings too much. Her feelings weren’t hurt, not even from pretty much being called disgusting straight to her face – you couldn’t let that get to you if you wanted to work in psychiatry – but she was more embarrassed than she cared to admit even to herself.  

Besides, her nose was tingling, and she didn’t want to let him see her fight the urge to sneeze… much less so if she lost the fight.  

“Alright Patrick, I’m stepping back,” she said, rising from the chair and taking two steps away from him. At this point, her nose was burning with the urge to sneeze, and she took slow, measured breaths through her mouth in an attempt at not adding fuel to the fire. Even so, she could feel the sneezy expression starting to show on her face as the prickle spread and intensified.

Veronica found it very hard to stifle her cold sneezes, most of the time she only succeeded partially, ending up with a mess to deal with, and that was absolutely out of the question this time. She would have to hold them back by all means necessary, and if she absolutely couldn’t, she had to be able to stifle flawlessly. Preferably soundlessly, too.

She walked to the other side of the room, away from where they were all sitting, spread around with safe distances between each other – although Veronica suspected that if forced to choose, they would rather be close to each other, likeminded people who at least understood the importance of health and cleanliness, than anywhere near her, the sick person with the audacity to impose her germs on the environment and people around her.

To be honest, she was so self-aware right now that she actually felt like she was shedding viruses everywhere. Thank God it was only this one session with patients having this particular diagnosis today, otherwise she might need a shrink.

She turned away and rubbed her nose hard, sniffling quietly. The itch persisted. In fact, it was worse, now feeling like sharp spikes digging into the tender inside of her inflamed nose.

She inhaled sharply as the sneeze tried to sneak past her self-control, but managed to fight it back, and the need waned, like a withdrawing wave. She exhaled slowly, shoulders dropping as she relaxed… but the urge returned just a second later, and she gasped for air and curled into herself in a desperate attempt at being quiet.

Nkt..!”

A slow, shaky exhale, and a light sniffle. What she wanted to do was to sniffle deeply, the kind of loud, strong sniffle that borders on a snort, but she was determined to downplay this and be as quiet as possible.

Her nose was still prickly. Her eyes watered in protest of the intense irritation, spreading from the tip of her nose and throughout her sinuses, her throat, her entire head. It was that unpleasant water-up-the-nose-sensation, something in between a burning and an itch, relentless, merciless, making her sensitive nostrils twitch with the desire to sneeze again.

Quiet, quiet, quiet…

She hoped nobody was looking in her direction, because she was about to lose that brittle control she still had.

She stifled one sneeze, crushing it into obedient silence between her thumb and index finger, and immediately had to stifle another. And a third. Her sinuses were pounding with the pressure from bottling up the sneezes, but she had no choice, not unless she wanted to really screw this whole thing up… and to stop sneezing wasn’t an option, because she couldn’t.  

Nora, the hospital administrator, rounded the corner.

“Veronica, got a minute?” she said, at first not noticing that her employee and friend was having a sneezing fit, and Veronica gratefully jumped the opportunity to leave before Nora could comment on it and ruin her charade. She walked right past Nora and out into the corridor, still with her itchy nose firmly pinched shut and her body shuddering as it absorbed the force of each fiercely reined-in sneeze.

“Whoa, what’s going on?” Nora asked as Veronica stopped a few steps down the corridor.

Before the sick psychiatrist could reply, her body completely rebelled against her and she sneezed explosively into the palm of her hand, unable to stifle this one.

UhhGNTSCHHkk-oohh!”

“Oh my God Ronnie, are you okay?”

“Do I look okay?” Veronica snapped, her voice thick with congestion and muffled by the hand she still kept over her nose and mouth.

“Not by a long shot,” Nora said, crossing her arms. “You got a cold?”

Veronica nodded and sneezed again, soaking her already wet hand with another, even messier outburst.

“Ugh, you’re gonna have to go check on them until I get this…” she gestured vaguely to her face with her free hand, “… under control… nnGTSHKsshoo!

I’m not a doctor. I know the treatment, but I don’t have the qualifications to be in charge of it.”

“You’re not s-sneezing y-youhhh… your head off in front of the g-germahhhh… germaphobes, that’s all the q-quahhhEEH-gdSSH! qualifications you need right now.” She got a couple of clean tissues out of her pocket with her free hand and brought them up to her face, now sneezing unrestrained into them. “…ahh.. aeeSSSSHH! HehISSSHH! AAAAEESSSHHHuh! Ehhh… eeeyISSSSCHH! Ugh…”

“What made you think it was a good idea to…” Nora began, noticing the other woman rolling her eyes, and sighed. “Jack?”

Veronica nodded, eyelids fluttering again as the hazy, sneezy look returned to her watery eyes.

“Alright, I’ll check on them, hopefully they’re not in a state of panic. Go get your nose under control,” she said, knowing perfectly well that when Veronica really got going, she could sneeze forever. Sometimes blowing her nose would help, other times the only thing she could do was endure it. Fits like this one were usually reserved for allergy season, though.

“Ronnie?”

Veronica turned around.

“Try not to get everyone on staff sick, okay?”

Veronica smirked.

“Just Carl?”

Nora laughed out loud.

“That is a reasonable compromise,” she said. “I’m still gonna have to talk to you about an intake next week, but I guess right now isn’t a good time.”

“AaaEESSSHH! ESSSHHH! Ahh-ERRSSSH!”

“Not a good time at all. Bless you.” She studied Veronica closely as the other woman leaned against the wall, exhausted from the sneezing fit, clutching the used tissues in one hand and pressing the other hand to her forehead as if to feel for fever. “Actually, Ronnie, go home. I’ll reassign Chloe to this group for now. And Jack is going to hear a word or two from me.”

Veronica wanted to object, she hated giving in, but she had to be practical. She couldn’t do her job in this condition. Besides, she was miserable. Her nose was a burning inferno, she had a splitting headache from all the stifling, and her throat was sore. And she wasn’t sure if she had a fever or not.

“I could, uh…” she said.

“Go home, is what you could and should do. Eat some chicken soup, watch some stupid daytime soap operas, fall asleep on the couch… oh my God, now I’m jealous.”

“Want me to give you a kiss so you can get your own cold?” Veronica joked and wiped her nose.

“I’m jealous of your sick day, not your cold,” Nora chuckled. “Get going. Feel better. And drive safe.”

Veronica smiled.

And then she sneezed again.

10 hours ago, ice_cream_though said:

This is so lovely!

Thank you!! ❤️

Aww this was so cute. I’m glad Veronica is getting her sick day, hopefully with lots of tea, tissues, and blankets! All things considered, I’m surprised her therapy group didn’t end in total disaster! 

5 minutes ago, Purplelily said:

Aww this was so cute. I’m glad Veronica is getting her sick day, hopefully with lots of tea, tissues, and blankets! All things considered, I’m surprised her therapy group didn’t end in total disaster! 

:lol: In real life, it would have. But I felt so bad for everyone involved that I didn't want to go there. Thank you, I'm glad you liked reading even if it is semi-traumatizing for a fellow germaphobe. ;) 

(also now I have this idea that I'm never gonna write though, for a crossover between this and my version-Deep Blue Sea, where Veronica helps Janice cope with the trauma of almost being eaten by a shark. :rofl: And then those two passing a cold back and forth. Oh well. My brain goes funny places sometimes.)

21 hours ago, Chanel_no5 said:

:lol: In real life, it would have. But I felt so bad for everyone involved that I didn't want to go there. Thank you, I'm glad you liked reading even if it is semi-traumatizing for a fellow germaphobe. ;) 

(also now I have this idea that I'm never gonna write though, for a crossover between this and my version-Deep Blue Sea, where Veronica helps Janice cope with the trauma of almost being eaten by a shark. :rofl: And then those two passing a cold back and forth. Oh well. My brain goes funny places sometimes.)

Nooo why would you tease me with this!! I want more Janice being taken care of! :laugh: