Sneeze Fetish Forum

Floral Frustrations (Forever)

Shay

7 hours ago, helyzelle said:

I never saw those interviews, what did they have planned?

Shay can of course chime in with the specific things that bugged them specifically, but I also hated a lot of the proposed directions, so I'm guessing we'll have some overlap.

*Jo was going to be revealed to have a criminal father, which partially explained her desire to become a cop (in other words, total cliche).

*Henry would be revealed to have had other wives/children besides the ones we saw, which baffled me because I was under the very distinct impression that Abe was Henry's first experience with raising a child.

*There was going to be a female immortal introduced. I was actually kind of on board with this idea, predictable as it was, but I got the distinct impression that she was mostly going to be there as a love interest for Henry before turning evil and helping Adam to escape from his current predicament.

*The REALLY big one was that, despite what we saw in the finale, it wasn't Jo who would be the first to find out Henry's secret, but Lucas. Again, I'm absolutely in favor of Lucas finding out, especially if he figured it out on his own instead of learning about it by accident, but given the last scene of the final episode, I couldn't imagine the frustrating contortions the writers would have to go through to have Henry not tell her.

*And Matt Miller (the creator) mentioned that in his mind, we'd eventually learn why Henry is immortal, but Henry would never actually die for good. Which kind of struck me as cruel.

Heh, looks like this stuff still bugs me, and it's been three years!

Yeah basically all that stuff. Though, I guess deleted scenes aren't really canon, but in the deleted scenes on the DVD box set they do show Jo's father being a criminal there.

The Henry having other wives/children also bugged me for similar reasons. I can get not mentioning a wife if it ended badly, but based on how much Henry loves Abe, I can't believe  he'd have another kid and there be no mention of it at all in season 1, even if it was just a brief flashback. I mean maybe he didn't know he had a kid and found out accidentally through a case? Either way, I didn't like that idea at all.

I don't really have much else to add on to what Wig said, but all of that stuff does bother me. Though some of it I hadn't actually heard before...

The only thing he had planned that I actually approved of was that Henry was the inspiration for the character of Sherlock Holmes, which was already my headcanon, especially since people referred to him as Sherlock Holmes on the show in some form at least three or four times.

As for all the stuff I didn't like, maybe they would have found a way to do it so it wouldn't have been that bad. When I recently saw the new Stargate prequel mini-series Stargate Origins, at first I was really annoyed with it since it appeared to be breaking previous canon. Then they ended it in a way that was admittedly kind of cliche, but still managed to be pretty decent and tie in with the original movie. Unfortunately, we'll never know if it would have turned out better than expected. The network certainly isn't going to bring it back now that Ioan Gruffudd is starring in a new show called Harrow where he's also playing a medical examiner. It's pretty jarring to watch at times because his new character is definitely like Henry in some ways, but not in others.

Going back to the first thing I said about deleted scenes not being canon, there was one deleted scene that I really want to be canon and wish they hadn't cut out. It's a really small thing, but it made me laugh so much. Basically at the end of the first episode where Henry goes off with Jo to a new case, when they're in the car he asks if they can turn on the sirens. Then Jo's all "Really? How old are you?" It's short enough that I felt they could have left it in, but I guess they wanted it to end with that warm feel good ending, and perhaps the humor would have ruined that a bit.

Edited by Shay

Ok, I agree that most of those ideas were terrible. I just really loved the concept of the immortal Henry searching for clues on his condition. I also love shows with medical and/or scientific themes. I'm dying to see Harrow but I'm guessing it'll be a while before it gets here.