Sneeze Fetish Forum

He's Just Non-Stop (Hamilton [musical], Alex) - 2/? (updated 1/3/17)

SapphireSong

Hello hello hello~!! My name's SapphireSong (aka smileyfacegirl, rhodochrosite... I finally settled on a name lmao :P ) and I come bearing a new story to the forum!

I noticed that, while interest has been expressed here for Hamilton fic, none (to my knowledge) has yet been posted on the forum. Soooo since I have recently finally immersed myself in the beauty that is Lin Manuel Miranda's epic creation, I have started a little thing for the titular character. 

Now, I'm aware of the popular fan pairings and AUs and such, but for this fic I aim to stick as close to the musical canon as possible - as a matter of fact, as the name suggests, this fic takes place during the period of time covered by the song Non-Stop, which you can listen to here. I'm personally quite fond of the relationship that Alexander has with the Schuyler sisters, so Angelica and Eliza feature heavily in this story. 

You don't have to be familiar with the musical to read this, but that being said, I HIGHLY recommend you give the soundtrack a listen. It is a brilliant, character-driven, profoundly moving piece and I daresay you will be the better for it if you give it a try. For those who don't know, though, here's a brief summary and character list!

Setting 
New York City, immediately after the Revolutionary War

Characters

20801-0.jpg

Alexander Hamilton: arrogant, tenacious, brilliant 20-something writer/public speaker/workaholic, as portrayed by Lin-Manuel Miranda

eliza_soo_300x300.jpg

Elizabeth Schuyler (pr. sky-ler) Hamilton: sweet, caring, intelligent young wife of Alexander, as portrayed by Phillippa Soo

angelica_goldsberry_300x300.jpg

Angelica Schuyler: smart, sassy older sister of Eliza and close friend of Alexander - in the musical's telling, she fell in love with him first but sacrificed her own wants for her sister's as well as her family name. As portrayed by Renee Elise Goldsberry!

Other characters include Philip and Angelica "Angie" (the Hamilton's two small children), and two other minor characters of my own creation whom you will meet in this this part. If others from the musical show up in later parts, I will post pictures of them as well. 

Background/Summary
Following the war, Alexander becomes a lawyer in NYC as well as a prolific political writer. He is, as the song this is inspired by details, "nonstop", putting his work above all else. He's always always writing, he doesn't sleep much, etc., and it worries his wife a lot. He also was born and raised in the balmy West Indies, so I am certain that East Coast winters do not treat him kindly. :laugh: Therefore, in this story, his workaholic habits take a toll on his health; but, true to form, he is the last person to admit that anything is wrong.....

This first bit does not have any sneezing, as I am notorious for taking my time with setup. :lol: However, I have another part written after this, and more planned! As always, your feedback is most welcome. Thank you, and enjoy!

He's Just Non-Stop: A Hamilton Fanfic by SapphireSong
Original material creative property of Lin-Manuel Miranda. I'm just playin' in the world he made. -_-

08FOUNDINHJP4-master675.jpg

><><><><

“Mama! Mama!!”

Elizabeth Hamilton looked up from her embroidering as her five-year-old son tugged plaintively on her skirt. “Yes, dear, what is it?”

“Daddy’s not in his office! It’s not even breakfast time, won’t Daddy be hungry? Where is he?” Philip’s little face was distraught, his big brown eyes shimmering.

“Hush, Philip, it’s okay,” his mother soothed, combing her finger through his hair – dark like his father’s, wavy like her own. I’m sure Daddy will be back before too long, he just has errands to run.” She rose, sweeping the little boy off his feet and into her arms. “Is your sister awake?”

“Yeah,” he piped, pointing up the stairs. “Nurse is getting her dressed.”

Mrs. Hamilton carried him into the entryway of the house, glancing into her husband’s office as she passed. Sure enough, it was empty, though the desk was littered with papers and his inkwell still sat open next to a stack of blank sheets. A knowing smile played on her lips, but a faint ache pulled at her heart all the same. The man she married never seemed to think about much else when he was working on a project – and he was working on several right now.

“Your father will be back soon,” she repeated, almost to herself. “He’s got lots of writing to do and not much time to do it in.”

Philip’s eyes grew wide, his whole countenance enraptured as it always was whenever his father was involved. “What’s Daddy writing?”

Elizabeth laughed, and kissed his temple. “You’ll have to ask him,” she replied, stopping at the front door. His father’s boots were gone, as was his bag. His overcoat, however, hung neglected on the coat tree in the corner. “Maybe today he’ll have some time to play with you after supper.”

“Yay!!” the boy crowed, squirming in her arms. “I’m gonna go tell Angie!”

Elizabeth put him down, smiling softly as he darted up the stairs. Her smile faded when he disappeared, and she turned to look out at the brooding November sky.

“Alexander…” she murmured, fingering the sturdy leather collar of the coat he was not wearing. “My love, come home soon.”

><><><><

“Mr. Hamilton! Always a pleasure, what can I do for you today?” The editor’s beady eyes gleamed with an impatience that belied his polite address, pudgy fingers drumming on the surface of his desk.

Alexander Hamilton cleared his throat, forcing a smile. “Likewise, Mr. Lyles.” Resisting the urge to fidget, he instead reached into his bag and drew out a neat stack of papers, bound loosely together with string. “I don’t mean to take up much of your time, good sir, I just came to submit this week’s letters from Publius.”

The stocky man’s features pinched with distaste, though he grudgingly accepted the stack. “But of course.” He thumbed through them, sharp gaze roving over the crisp sheets, the bold black strokes of ink. “You lot are still carrying on this endeavor, eh?”

Hamilton bristled slightly. “This is only our second week of running, sir, we’ve barely had any time to make any visible measure of a difference –”

“Yes, yes, no need to defend yourself,” Mr. Lyles interrupted, waving him off. “You’re paying me to run it, so it’s not as if I want you to stop.” He tossed the essays into a shallow box behind his chair, then paused to light a cigar. “I am surprised to see you, however – I thought the whole idea of this thing was to remain anonymous. Don’t blame me if people find out you’re behind these letters, young man.” He took a long drag off the cigar, staring expectantly at him.

Hamilton shook his head, digging in his pocket for the necessary coins. “Oh, it is, sir. But my messenger boy is sick, so I had to come deliver it myself in order to make the deadline.”

Mr. Lyles snatched up the coins almost before Hamilton put them down, then took out his handkerchief and mopped sweat from his balding head. “I didn’t ask for your autobiography, I was merely pointing out the liability issue. And before you ask, no, I won’t tell anyone who Publius really is.” He waved his cigar in Hamilton’s direction. “Just don’t expect to maintain the secret if you plan on personally delivering every essay to me.”

“I don’t, sir, I told you, it’s only today…” Hamilton trailed off, pinching the bridge of his nose, willing away a budding headache. Clearly, Mr. Lyles couldn’t be bothered to listen to a single word that didn’t have to do with his financial interest – anyone with half a brain could see that. And yet, somehow, there was an inescapable compulsion within him to rationalize his position anyway. “Two more essays are already finished, so I’ll have the next set sent to you on—”

“Good day, Mr. Hamilton,” Mr. Lyles intoned, and just like that, the conversation was over.

It actually took Hamilton a couple of moments to process this; he stood there awkwardly for almost half a minute before mumbling a response and excusing himself from the office. Witty debates and bold rebuttals were his specialty. Being steadfastly ignored? He didn’t know what to do with such a thing.

Preoccupied as he was, he walked right into a young typesetter on his way out, sending both his own bag and the young man’s armful of packages tumbling to the floor.

“Oh, god, I am so sorry!!” The boy instantly crouched to gather it all up, looking stricken, then dropped his own packages a second time in favor of offering Hamilton his satchel.

Hamilton quickly took the bag, but held out his hand to help the boy up. “No, no, that was as much my fault as yours, no need to apologize.”

The young man hesitated, then allowed himself to be pulled to his feet. “Still,” he said weakly, rubbing the back of his neck. “Mr. Lyles is always tellin’ me I’ll get myself fired on account of my clumsiness..”

“Well,” Hamilton leaned in conspiratorially, putting one of the boy’s parcels back in his hand, “Mr. Lyles can choke on his expensive cigar, if you ask me.”

“Sir--!” The young man cast a horrified glance at the closed office door behind them, but Hamilton only laughed, clapping him on the shoulder.

“Hey, none of that ‘sir’ business, okay? I won’t get you in trouble, I promise.” He offered his hand again, this time to shake. “I’m Alexander Hamilton.”

He nodded as he clasped his hand, expression almost awed. “I know – er, I-I mean –” He exhaled heavily, running his free hand through his tangled dirty-blond locks. “Sorry – I’m Edward. Edward Morrisson, pleased to meet you.”

Hamilton gave him an easy smile, slinging his bag higher on his shoulder. “The pleasure is mine,” he replied, beginning to walk again as he spoke. “So, d’you work the press?”

“Yes!” Edward’s expression lightened, and Hamilton was reminded of himself ten years past. This young man looked to be only eighteen or so, his eyes bright with the enthusiasm and passion characteristic of youth. It was almost enviable, in a way. “I’ve been apprenticed here for nearly two years now, and I’m to take over supervision of the other boys as soon as I pass my evaluations!”

Hamilton nodded approvingly, taking in the sights and sounds of the workfloor as they passed through to the front of the building. The whirl of activity blended seamlessly with the intricate machinery, the metallic taste of ink in the air; it made one feel invigorated, and he could see why Edward loved the place.

“Well then, best of luck to you, Edward!” he said firmly, stopping for a moment to meet his gaze. “And remember this – this is your shot, and yours alone. You get to make it, Mr. Lyles and the boys, everyone else, they don’t get a say in it. If you want this, go get it. Don’t stop till you do, and no one will be able to stop you.”

The young man stared at him, a variety of emotions flitting across his features as he absorbed Hamilton’s words. After a long moment, he opened his mouth as if to respond; but before he could, Mr. Lyles’ door banged open.

“Morrisson!! Quit wasting everyone’s time and bring me those documents! I needed them this time yesterday! Useless boy!”

Hamilton saw Edward flinch, his face falling. So, in full view of one glowering Mr. Lyles, he stepped forward and gripped his hand once again.

“I am truly honored to have met you, Mr. Morrisson,” he declared, glancing to Mr. Lyles with just the barest hint of a smirk. “Quite the exceptional lad you have here, Mr. Lyles – you better watch out, he might just take your job someday.” He gave Edward a not-so-subtle wink and nod, smirk growing in response to the editor’s look of pure horror, patting the boy’s arm before pulling back.

Edward blinked, then straightened ever so slightly, squaring his shoulders. Returning the nod with a look of grateful admiration, he turned to his boss, holding his head high. “I have the documents right here, sir, as well as tomorrow’s inventory sheets.”

Hamilton watched with smug satisfaction as Mr. Lyles slunk back into his office with a dark scowl, followed by his newly inspired hired hand; then resumed his walk to the entrance, whistling softly.

His mood took a dip again when he caught sight of the overcast skies through the dingy glass of the double doors. November clouds meant cold, and cold meant numb fingers and numb fingers meant difficulty holding his pen –

“I gotta get home,” he muttered to himself, suddenly realizing he’d completely lost track of time. Shoving the door open with a shoulder as he hoisted his bag higher on the other, the blast of chilly autumn air nearly knocked him over. Biting his tongue to keep his teeth from chattering, he stepped into the street and fumbled one-handed to do up the buttons – the large brass buttons--…

…the large brass buttons on the overcoat that he was not wearing.

Cursing under his breath, he eyed the gloomy sky with wary dismay, sticking his hands in his pockets and shrugging the collar of his jacket to haphazardly cover his neck. It was a good forty minutes’ walk home, and with no means of calling a carriage there was nothing to be done but get it over with.

With any luck, he thought irritably, the rain would hold off until he got there.

><><><><

To be continued.... :twisted: 

Edited by SapphireSong

OH MY GOD I'm so excited someone is finally writing a Hamilton fic! Not only that, but one of my favorite writers on the forum :):) i love the start of this, you have Lin Manuel Mirandas version of Hamilton down so perfect, and he is SO the type to just deny illness until he's blue in the face. Im pumped for this story, can't wait to read more!

OH MY GOD. OKAY LISTEN FAM, I ALMOST HAD A HEART ATTACK WHEN I SAW THIS!! I'm so glad someone finally is writing a Hamilton fic omg. I'm so pumped for this!! It's so well written and I can't wait for the next chapter!! :razz:

YES THIS IS SO CUTE AND PERFECT!! I've been checking regularly to see if anyone would write a Hamilton fic. This is really well written! So excited for the next part! :D

• 2 weeks later...

UWAHHH Thank you everyone, I'm sososo happy you like it!! Your comments mean so much to me, and encourage me to post/write more. :D

So here we go, second installment for ya! Nooot quite to the sneezing yet but SOON I promise. As soon as I finish writing the next part, in fact. :P

Context note: I forgot to mention that this is during the period of time in which Alexander is working on the Federalist Papers, a series of (real) essays defending the highly controversial Constitution to the public. Our workaholic, author, and inflammatory political personality wrote 51 different articles in the span of six months.  Alexander Hamilton, everybody. B)

So, without further ado!

Part 2: In which the Schuyler sisters discuss the absent husband and brother-in-law.

><><><><

“—and so now, whenever Philip and I go to the park, he simply must bring something for the ducks. It’s delightful watching him feed them, he’s so intent on everything he does, he’s just like his father…” Elizabeth trailed off in the middle of her little story, frowning worriedly at her sister. “Is something wrong?” After a pause, her eyes widened and she rose from the piano bench, arms outstretched. “Oh, I can take Angie if you’re tired of holding her, I’m so sorry –”

“Not at all, Eliza, relax.” Angelica Schuyler smiled archly at her younger sister, bouncing her toddler namesake on one knee. “It’s not anything like that. I’m just suddenly realizing - you’ve officially reached motherhood, Elizabeth Hamilton, congratulations!”

Elizabeth gave her an odd look, sinking back down on the bench and bending to place a hand on Philip’s head as he played at her feet. “Angelica, you.. do know I’ve been a mother for five years now, I hope…”

Angelica laughed, and little Angie giggled along, content in her aunt’s slender arms. “Yes, yes, but you’ve reached the stage where Philip and Angie are literally all you can talk about, with the occasional Alexander thrown in.” She was full-on grinning now, leaning toward her sister and hugging Angie to her chest to keep her from falling. “I mean, you’ve always been motherly, Eliza, but really, do you hear yourself?”

“I –” Eliza opened her mouth, then closed it again, her face growing warm. “I guess I never really thought about it,” she confessed, brushing a strand of hair back from her face and shaking her head. “But between caring for Angie and giving Philip his lessons, I’ve barely had a moment’s peace, much less any time for my own amusements.” She sighed. “It sounds really pathetic when I say it out loud, huh…”

“Hey, none of that.” Angelica’s tone was firm as she reached over to touch her sister’s knee. “It suits you, and I’m not just sayin’ that because you’re my baby sister.” She quirked a smile, straightening in her seat again. “Truly, you’re the best mother I know – Angie and Philip are in wonderful hands.”

Angie stirred suddenly, craning her neck to gaze at her aunt with the big brown eyes she inherited from her father. “F’lip!” she piped, squirming to be let down. “Play with F’lip now!”

Angelica let her go, smiling fondly. “They’re good kids, Eliza. And I know it’s got a lot to do with you.”

Eliza shook her head again, though she glowed quietly from the praise. “I… I don’t know, Angelica, I really don’t have any idea what I’m doing half the time,” she said modestly, bunching the generous fabric of her skirt in both hands. “I swear I still feel little older than a child myself, you know..?”

Angelica laughed, rising from the armchair to join her sister on the bench. “Well, you do a good job of pretending, then.” She took Eliza’s hand in her own, smile fading a little. “Would that I could have the barest hope of being in your league, my dear sister.”

Eliza started to laugh, then stopped when she realized Angelica wasn’t joking. “Whatever do you mean--” she began, but the older girl cut her off.

“Oh come now, Eliza…” Angelica exhaled, and Elizabeth felt her sister’s shoulders slump. “You know I don’t have a nurturing or gentle nature, that’s always been you. I just… I know John will want me to give him children. What.. what if I’m not fit to be a mother?”

Eliza paused, giving this the consideration Angelica’s gravity necessitated. “I don’t really think that’s something you can know beforehand,” she said finally, meeting her gaze. “I think any woman could be unfit for motherhood, at any point in her life. However,” she squeezed Angelica’s hand, “don’t you dare tell me you’re incapable of being gentle and caring with a child. How you interact with Angie and Philip is more than enough proof to the contrary of that notion.”

Angelica smiled, but her features remained pinched with uncertainty. “I wish it was easier to simply believe you, Eliza,” she said, and there was a note of sadness in her voice. “If I am to submit myself to a passionless union to preserve our family’s honor, I hope at least to produce children I can cherish with my whole heart.”

Eliza squeezed her sister’s hand again, but did not reply. The silence they shared, however, was more meaningful than any words could have been.

“Have you said anything to Alexander?” Angelica spoke again at last, uncharacteristically hesitant; and it took Eliza a moment to even understand her meaning.

“No,” she answered honestly, returning her gaze to her son and daughter at her feet. “I know how hard it will be for you. For both of you.” She looked at her again, and there was a quiet resoluteness in her words. “So I will not rob you of a conversation that is yours, and yours alone, to have with him.”

Angelica raised her eyes to her sister’s, and Eliza was startled to see them sparkling with tears that she knew would remain unshed. “Thank you,” she said; and with that, the rawness of the emotions she held within her vanished from the surface as swiftly as they had come.

“Speaking of, where is he, anyway?” Angelica leaned into her sister casually, touching her cheek to hers. “Given the hour, I thought he would’ve made an appearance by now, even just to eat.”

“Oh, well, you know Alex,” Eliza said with a smile that was only slightly strained. “Immersed in a project, as always. Though he’s actually out at the moment - I haven’t seen him since he got up this morning, so I don’t believe he stayed in for breakfast either…”

“Good Lord, it’s near half past two now!” Angelica exclaimed, gripping Eliza’s arm. “Are you sure? Maybe he slipped in while we were talking and went straight to his office.”

“No, we would’ve heard him.” Eliza pressed her lips together, huffing a sigh through her nose. “Alexander does not simply slip into a building.” Her tone was drier than Angelica had ever heard from her, and she laughed out loud.

Eliza couldn’t help joining in, though she fell serious again almost instantly. “He shouldn’t be too long now,” she said, brow furrowing. “He’s probably at the publishing house – oh!”

She was cut short by the sound of the front door crashing open, followed immediately by the loud stomping of boots.

“Daddy!!” Philip shrieked happily, jumping up, and Eliza had to catch the back of his shirt to keep him from darting on ahead.

“It appears you have successfully summoned him, dear sister,” she quipped, one corner of her mouth quirking upward as she rose. She caught little Philip’s hand in her own, then offered Angelica her other elbow. “Shall we?”

“Indeed,” Angelica responded with a smile, pausing to hoist Angie up on one hip before tucking her arm through her sister’s.

><><><><

There you go~! Next part to come hopefully soon xD

Yes!!!!  I am truly loving this fic.  As usual for me, I am rather late to the party (just started getting into Hamilton last month), so the fic is perfectly timed in my opinion.  :)

I think the dialogue and character interactions so far are terrific.  I can't wait to read more!

--QS

aaAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHOOOMMMMYYYYYYGOOSSSHHH YAY :jumpy:

I'm so excited for this story and I'm so pumped that you updated!! The writing and character interactions are so on point and I'm so stoked for the next part! GOOD WORK!! ???

Oh wow, this is already so freakin' cute and that's without any sneezes. You're writing is really good, SapphireSong! I'm really enjoying this! :heart: Also, thank you so much for writing something for the Hamilton fandom. Lin-Manuel Miranda is so adorable and he deserves way more attention than he gets.

Edited by VividBubbles!
  • 3 weeks later...

Please continue~. I've just recently gotten rlly deep into Hamilton and this fic is already amazing??the characterization is on point too

I don't know Hamilton, but I have a long plane ride coming up and I plan to listen to the soundtrack then! Anyway, this is excellent.

"Mrs. Hamilton carried him into the entryway of the house, glancing into her husband’s office as she passed. Sure enough, it was empty, though the desk was littered with papers and his inkwell still sat open next to a stack of blank sheets. A knowing smile played on her lips, but a faint ache pulled at her heart all the same. The man she married never seemed to think about much else when he was working on a project – and he was working on several right now."

Ughhhhhh these sentences are just so good!

"Elizabeth laughed, and kissed his temple. “You’ll have to ask him,” she replied, stopping at the front door. His father’s boots were gone, as was his bag. His overcoat, however, hung neglected on the coat tree in the corner. “Maybe today he’ll have some time to play with you after supper.”

“Yay!!” the boy crowed, squirming in her arms. “I’m gonna go tell Angie!” 

Elizabeth put him down, smiling softly as he darted up the stairs. Her smile faded when he disappeared, and she turned to look out at the brooding November sky.

“Alexander…” she murmured, fingering the sturdy leather collar of the coat he was not wearing. “My love, come home soon.”"

I want to steal your vocabulary!

• 5 months later...

OMG!!! I absolutely adore this! the writing is well done, the story so far is interesting, and I just can't wait for the next part! Good job!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

This is so good! Your writing is really spot on, I love your style.

I haven't seen many Hamilton sneeze fics or just sick fics in general at all, so I'm really happy you decided to make this contribution to the fandom, I, and I'm sure a bunch of others, really appreciate it.

I absolutely cannot wait for the next part of this, you have me hooked. :D