Sneeze Fetish Forum

Don't Fear the Reaper-- The Great Ace Attorney, Von ZeeksxRyuunosuke

Hachimitsu Tea

Um, hi everyone. It's been a while since I really visited or posted anything, and that's partially because I've been working on a major solo translation project. That project is Dai Gyakuten Saiban, also given the unofficial English title of The Great Ace Attorney. I'm 960 pages in as I post this story and nearly done, though I'm not entirely sure what I'll do with the translation...

Anyway, I fell completely in love with the characters and I hope to do more with them in the future, but for now, I've written this fic that's kind of possibly pre-relationship!Von ZeeksxRyuunosuke. There are some minor spoilers for the game, but nothing too big, set right after the third case. I wrote this as I was playing through the fourth case, and now that I'm nearly done with the game and learned more about Prosecutor Von Zeeks I've realized that there's a bit of a problem with the premise, but I hope you can all enjoy it as a fetish fic |D

Title: Don't Fear the Reaper

Pairing: Baroque Von Zeeks +/x Ryuunosuke Naruhodo

Word count: 3,577

The first thing that Ryuunosuke noticed as he began to slowly slog his way back to consciousness as that the surface beneath him was not the hard, uneven one he recalled the last time he’d taken stock of his surroundings. This realization was quickly followed by the observation that it no longer hurt every time he drew breath. In a moment, he would remember why it had hurt, but just now that information was lingering just out of reach in the foggy recesses of his brain.

Ryuunosuke flexed his fingers sluggishly, the least taxing way he could come up with to explore his as of yet unknown environment. It may no longer hurt to breathe, but he was still a bit sore for some reason, as if he’d slept in a strange position. It was warm and cushy, wherever he was. There were heavy pieces of fabric draped over him from the shoulders down… blankets?

I’m in a bed, he concluded hazily. That’s strange… I don’t remember going to sleep in a…

Slowly details began to trickle back to him. A trial with a conclusion that had left him shaken and confused, a realization that they had nowhere to spend the night, a stupid decision made out of lack of other choices to sleep in a park in the middle of February…. Ryuunosuke sniffled, but hardly noticed his nose running. He certainly wasn’t in the park now, wherever he was.

The more he thought about it, the more uneasy he became. Just because this place was comfortable, didn’t mean it was safe. The fact that he had no idea how he’d gotten there or how long he’d been there did nothing to settle his nerves. He sniffled again, and was about to force his eyes open when suddenly the silence was broken in a most disconcerting way.

“Are you awake, Japanese Boy?” said a deep, soft voice from the darkness.

Ryuunosuke’s eyes flew open and he sat bolt upright in bed, looking around wildly.

“Wh-Who…?!” Ryuunosuke instantly regretted trying to speak as his throat ached in protest and caused him to cough harshly.

The only source of light in the room came from a somberly crackling fire in the hearth opposite the bed, so even after sitting up and looking around, Ryuunosuke wasn’t able to see more than a faint, towering shadow standing near his bed. He was so overwhelmed with shock and panic and fear that he couldn’t even scramble away as the figure loomed even nearer. The sound of liquid being poured from one receptacle into another faintly registered in his throbbing ears, and then he found a glass of water being pushed into his hand. Ryuunosuke’s eyes flicked over it briefly, before flitting right back to the figure lurking near his bed.

“Surely you know what to do with a glass of water,” that cool, deep voice said disdainfully. “Or perhaps you suspect me of tampering with it?”

Ryuunosuke’s parched tongue flicked out over his wind-chapped lips and he suddenly realized just how desperately thirsty he was. He brought the glass hesitantly to his mouth and tasted the water. It was cool and fresh, and once the first few drops met his tongue it was all he could do to keep from gulping it. As he drank, his unknown visitor took a chair that had been pushed up to a little writing desk nearby, and set it down at Ryuunosuke’s bedside.

It was then as the mysterious figure settled himself gracefully upon that chair that the flickering firelight caught his ghostly pale skin and illuminated his face just enough for Ryuunosuke to identify him. His eyes went wide with shock and he promptly choked on his water. Prosecutor Baroque Von Zeeks...!

Von Zeeks didn't seem fazed by Ryuunosuke's reaction. He simply watched unblinkingly as the younger man attempted to recover from his surprise. Ryuunosuke blushed as he sniffled and wiped away the water he'd sloshed on his face when he jumped.

“I hope you’ll indulge me, as I’m honestly curious,” the prosecutor said, looking as deeply unimpressed as Ryuunosuke had ever seen him. “Are all those who hail from that tiny oriental island country of yours so spectacularly half-witted, or are you remarkable even among them?”

Ryuunosuke blinked dazedly at him, trying to force his aching head to process Von Zeeks's complicated English. He wanted to ask what he'd done to deserve that insult but realized it would probably only confirm whatever doubts Von Zeeks had about his intelligence and he hesitated sheepishly.

"Um... S-sorry," Ryuunosuke croaked. Perhaps if he just apologized, Von Zeeks wouldn't need to know that he had no idea what he was meant to have done.

Von Zeeks wasn't fooled for a second. He let out an impatient little breath through his nose, his fingers brushing his forehead as he shook his head, a clear display of exasperation. "You have no idea what I'm talking about, do you? I meant your brilliant decision to spend the night out in a park in the middle of the winter. I had thought that your assistant at least would have had the sense to talk you out of such a foolish--"

"Hep--shoo! ...Heh... Hekkchiew! Nghheh--hehkishh!" The sneezes snuck up on Ryuunosuke so suddenly that he didn't have time to think about trying to hold them back. All he could do was cover his mouth with the back of his hand.

A moment of awkward silence stretched out between them. Ryuunosuke reddened steadily as his post-sneeze hazy brain caught up with the situation and he realized he'd cut Von Zeeks off right in the middle of his sentence. The back of his hand still pressed to his nose, Ryuunosuke's eyes flickered up to Von Zeeks's face even as he told himself that it was a bad idea.

There was a look of mild surprise on the prosecutor's stern face; Ryuunosuke got the impression that he wasn't used to being interrupted. He averted his gaze again in shame and gave a quiet, wet sniffle.

"I-I'm sorry, excuse me," Ryuunosuke mumbled.

Von Zeeks looked down as he reached into his pocket. "It can't be helped," he said calmly. His hand emerged from his pocket, clutching a white handkerchief with a navy blue border around it, and to Ryuunosuke's immense surprise, held it out to him. "You are ill."

Ryuunosuke hesitated briefly, staring at the proffered handkerchief. A small furrow appeared in Von Zeeks's brow, almost as if he were slightly hurt by Ryuunosuke's reluctance to accept it.

"It won't bite you," he said softly.

"Th-thank you..." Ryuunosuke said hoarsely, accepting it at last. He tried to blow his nose as quietly as possible, trying to collect his thoughts about this incredibly surreal situation. "Um... May... I ask you something?"

Von Zeeks inclined his head minutely.

"How did I get... wherever we are right now?" Ryuunosuke asked. "And..." He looked around carefully to make sure the answer wasn't obvious before asking his next question, "where is Susato-san?"

“...You honestly don’t recall?” the prosecutor asked.

Ryuunosuke swallowed hard in spite of his sore throat’s protest and shook his head. He wished Von Zeeks would blink. Those sharp blue eyes of his bored into Ryuunosuke’s unrelentingly, and Ryuunosuke could feel himself being carefully analyzed. Such an act by anyone was cause enough for discomfort, but when the one observing him so closely was a man who’d earned himself the nickname “The Grim Reaper,” Ryuunosuke couldn’t help wanting to hide beneath his blankets until he was left alone again.

“My route home takes me through a certain park which I believe you are by now familiar with,” Von Zeeks explained. His voice was as quiet and even as ever, but he didn’t need to strain to make himself heard. “I happened to be gazing out the window of my carriage when two distinctive silhouettes caught my eye. I confess I was surprised to see you and your assistant out and about in the park on a night as cold as that one. My curiosity got the better of me, and I told the driver to stop so that I could investigate more closely. The two of you were barely conscious when I approached you. I doubt you would have lasted the night if left to your own devices.”

Ryuunosuke frowned in thought. His memories of that night were very hazy, to be honest. Now that Von Zeeks mentioned it, Ryuunosuke thought perhaps he remembered being approached by a tall, dark figure before his memory cut out. Von Zeeks seemed to be waiting for something from him, though Ryuunosuke couldn’t imagine what. His head was throbbing and he just wanted to lie back down and drift off to sleep again.

“So… in other words…” Ryuunosuke said slowly, though his mind was working furiously. It was so much harder to process things, let alone in a foreign language, when his head felt so heavy and stuffy. “You… took us in…?”

“Very astute,” Von Zeeks said dryly.

“Th-then that means…” Ryuunosuke felt the meager contents of his stomach go cold. “This is your…”

“My residence, yes,” the prosecutor confirmed.

Ryuunosuke licked his lips, his eyes darting around restlessly as he tried to reign in his rapidly rising panic. He couldn't decide whether this development was more or less terrifying than facing Von Zeeks in court. It was certainly more embarrassing, and it was only getting worse the more he processed the implications of what Von Zeeks had just told him.

If he was here in the prosecutor's home and he couldn't recall how he had gotten here, did that mean that Von Zeeks had carried him? Ryuunosuke's head spun and throbbed as his brain helpfully supplied an image of the older man cradling him in his arms as he brought him to this room, covering him up to his chin with warm blankets and wiping the feverish sweat from his forehead. A small part of him wanted to ask Von Zeeks whether that was what had happened on the off chance that he was making incorrect assumptions, but the much wiser part of him realized that he was probably better off not knowing.

"You are displeased," Von Zeeks observed. He didn't sound disappointed or accusatory; he spoke with the detached air of someone merely commenting on an obvious fact.

"W-w-well, I, um...!" Ryuunosuke began, but then he froze as a faint tickle developed in his nose. Oh, why did he have to sneeze again now? He sniffled, trying to kill the irritation before it got beyond his control, but somehow it only grew worse. Ryuunosuke's breath hitched, his brow furrowing helplessly, and he clenched his jaw to keep his mouth from falling open as he readied his borrowed handkerchief. "Heh-heh-heh--hehkishh! ...Hutkich! Het...hettishhoo! Ugh... S-sorry, excuse be."

"It isn't necessary to apologize every time," Von Zeeks said. He didn't seem to be annoyed by it, and Ryuunosuke was a little surprised by that. He had gotten the impression in court that the prosecutor was a relatively impatient man. "As I said, you are ill. It is unavoidable."

Ryuunosuke squirmed uncomfortably. "I... didd't bead to sou'd udgrateful, I just..."

He floundered for words to explain his predicament without being rude. Lost, he glanced up at Von Zeeks again. Von Zeeks looked as though he knew what Ryuunosuke was getting at, and Ryuunosuke was grateful, but unnerved at the same time. He wished Von Zeeks would quit giving him the impression that he knew everything that Ryuunosuke was thinking.

"...Judging by your 'trapped rat' expression... I would hazard a guess that you find me intimidating," he said evenly. "It doesn't seem unreasonable to assume that you may have heard of my reputation, and it is this that is fueling your fears."

Ryuunosuke swallowed again, wincing slightly at the ensuing soreness in his throat. Von Zeeks had hit the nail on the head. He sniffled, his fingers worrying at his blanket. "I... I'b sorry... I'b just disoriedted..."

The prosecutor's gaze slid away from Ryuunosuke at last, settling pensively on the fire. There was a flash of something in his eyes, something almost sad, but it was quickly covered up before Ryuunosuke was even certain he'd seen it. The scar across Von Zeeks's face looked deeper with the way the firelight hit it, and Ryuunosuke got the sudden urge to ask him how he'd gotten it, but he didn't dare.

“In this room, in this moment, we are not prosecutor and defense attorney, facing off on opposite sides of the courtroom,” Von Zeeks murmured. “You are an ill guest, and I am your host. I intend to fill that role to a degree that does the English gentleman’s reputation honor. Perhaps you can take some degree of solace in that.”

Ryuunosuke blinked, baffled and astonished. "...O...Ok..."

He acknowledged that he’d only been acquainted with Von Zeeks for a very short time and in a very specific sort of environment that would inevitably color their interactions in a certain way, but he had never expected to hear the prosecutor say anything like what he just had. Maybe he’s lonely with everyone being afraid of him. The thought came to Ryuunosuke before he was even aware that it was formulating in his mind. The thought was startlingly bizarre, and yet...

"As for your assistant's whereabouts, you needn't worry; she is in the room down the hall, being tended by one of my female servants," Von Zeeks said, interrupting Ryuunosuke's thoughts about his possible emotional state. "She has a chill, but--"

"Heh... Hegkich! Heht...hehtich! Huh-huhh... Hukishoo!" Ryuunosuke had tried to hold his sneezes back, but they were apparently determined to embarrass him as much as possible. No sooner had he began to open his eyes again then he found himself needing to pitch into the handkerchief once more. "Uhkitch...! Htkich...! Huhhhhh...huhessshiew! Hekkushun!"

Ryuunosuke eased his eyes open, blushing brilliantly as he looked into Von Zeeks's face. The prosecutor raised an eyebrow at him, as if asking if he could continue. "E-excuse be..." Ryuunosuke said thickly, blowing his nose.

"She's not in as poor shape as you," Von Zeeks continued, deadpan.

Ryuunosuke coughed, his head spinning and throbbing after the effort of blowing his congested nose. Maybe the world would stop pitching and swaying if he lied down again. Ryuunosuke flopped back down on his pillows with a small groan of misery and draped his arm over his eyes.

"Has your condition worsened?" Von Zeeks asked with a small frown.

As Ryuunosuke's dizziness receded slowly, he realized how sloppy and childish his action just now must have appeared to the polished English prosecutor said blushed, pulling the blanket up over his nose shyly. "Just a little dizzy, I'll be fide," he squeaked.

Von Zeeks's frown deepened and he extended a hand hesitantly. Ryuunosuke stiffened, and Von Zeeks withdrew it slightly.

"If I may confirm your temperature...?" Von Zeeks said, the closest thing to uncertainty in his voice that Ryuunosuke had ever heard from him.

"Oh, ubbb... s...sure," Ryuunosuke stammered. He was surprised to find that the sensation he was experiencing as a result of Von Zeeks's suggestion was less "terrified," and more "flustered." His brain helpfully brought it to his attention that in spite of Von Zeeks's intimidating air, the prosecutor really was very attractive.

Ryuunosuke blushed, looking up at the ceiling shyly as Von Zeeks pressed the back of his first two fingers to Ryuunosuke's forehead. Ryuunosuke's heart backflipped disconcertingly behind his rib cage at the sensation of Von Zeeks's bare skin touching his. The touch was soothingly cool and Ryuunosuke was sorely tempted to lean into it, but he didn't have the nerve. He had only a second or two process this before, to his horror, a sudden and fierce tickle flared up in his sinuses. Ryuunosuke twitched his nose, the only counter measure that came to his pre-sneeze-hazy mind, but it was too little too late. He clenched his teeth tightly as his eyelids fluttered.

"Hdddktch...huh...hugggtcht...mbb, hdghhh... Heggshht! ...ugh, ow....e-excuse be, I was really tryi'g dot to do that, sorry!"

"...Your condition seems unchanged," Von Zeeks murmured, mercifully not mentioning Ryuunosuke's valiant effort not to sneeze on him as he withdrew his hand from the Japanese boy's forehead. "You'll need more rest if you wish to see improvement, I imagine."

Ryuunosuke cleared his throat, trying not to let his drainage cause him to cough. "Y-yes, sir," he said meekly.

Von Zeeks was quiet for a moment, resting his forearms on his knees and looking down at the floor as if he were in thought. "Before I leave you to your rest..."

Ryuunosuke sniffled, looking over at the prosecutor curiously. Von Zeeks produced a small glass jar, which he held up for Ryuunosuke's consideration.

"I had one of my servants purchase this from the apothecary," he said. "You'll sleep better if you apply some now."

Ryuunosuke squinted at the label through the gloom. "Eucalyptus oil..." His eyes flicked questioningly over to his host.

"You're... not familiar with the properties of eucalyptus oil," Von Zeeks observed slowly.

"S-sorry..." Ryuunosuke croaked. He braced himself for an insult against his homeland like the ones he'd been treated to in court, but they never came; instead, Von Zeeks unscrewed the cap on the jar.

"Open your shirt, Japanese Boy," he instructed.

Ryuunosuke blinked. "Um...wh-what...?"

"It must be applied to the chest in order to be effective," Von Zeeks explained, dipping his fingers into the oil, "directly to the skin."

Ryuunosuke's head spun as his already feverish cheeks heated even further. Was this really happening, or was it some incredibly vivid fever dream? The crazy thing was that the thought of Von Zeeks touching his skin with his again actually excited him as much as it terrified him. With trembling hands, Ryuunosuke slowly reached up and began to fumble with his buttons.

Von Zeeks waited patiently for Ryuunosuke to expose his chest, and then ran his fingers gently over Ryuunosuke's top rib, smearing the strongly scented oil over his skin. Ryuunosuke shivered at his touch, both because it was cool and because of the dizzying intimacy of it.

Ryuunosuke felt the handkerchief being tugged from his hand and released it unthinkingly. It didn't occur to him to wonder why it was being taken from him until the full impact of the scent of the oil that Von Zeeks was rubbing onto his chest hit him. Ryuunosuke let out a little whine as the recession of his congestion allowed his nose to start tickling again. His eyes squeezed shut helplessly and his breath hitched, his fingers searching blindly for the handkerchief that had been taken from him.

"Ihh-hih-hihhh, P-proh-prosecutor Vod Zeeks...! Puh-please...!" He was trying to beg for the handkerchief back, but he was hitching so badly that he couldn't form any more coherent words.

He felt soft cloth brushing his nose just as he reached his limit. "Fueh-fuehhhkushun! Huh...uekushi! Ekushun! Hehhh... Hehhh... Hehepchi! ...kuchun...!"

Ryuunosuke was already blowing his nose when something occurred to him very belatedly. Who's holding the handkerchief? The answer was obvious; Ryuunosuke was simply too horrified to be willing to accept it. Grudgingly, fearfully, he eased open his eyes, and his blood went cold as his worst fears were confirmed.

"...Can you breathe more easily now?" Von Zeeks asked softly, lowering the handkerchief.

"...y... Yes, thadk you," Ryuunosuke rasped. "I, er.... Ub... excuse be... Sorry."

Von Zeeks ignored his apology, putting the lid back on the jar of eucalyptus oil and getting to his feet. "Is there anything else you require before..." he paused suddenly, and for a fraction of a second, Ryuunosuke wondered why, but then what had previously been a tiny, barely noticeable tickle in his sinuses flared up intensely. Ryuunosuke hid his desperate expression hurriedly in his arm as his breath began to hitch. "Huuuuuuu-etchh! Eh...ehp--ehpchht! Huh--uektcht!"

"--before I leave you to your rest?" Von Zeeks finished before Ryuunosuke could even say "excuse me."

Ryuunosuke dabbed at his nose shyly with the borrowed handkerchief, blushing as he tried to gather the thoughts that had been scattered by his unexpected sneeze. "Ub... I dod't... thigk so...?"

Von Zeeks bowed his head gracefully in understanding. "In that case...rest well, Japanese boy. If you find yourself in need of anything, you can summon someone by ringing that bell."

He indicated a golden hand bell sitting on the bedside table.

"Oh, ub... Th-- uh...huhktcht! Th-thagk etktch! Thagk you... Huggchit! ...ugh...e-excuse be..."

"Hmm." Von Zeeks turned to leave, but paused when he reached the door. "A word of advice, if I may?"

Ryuunosuke sniffled. "Oh... y-yes...?"

"It's best not to hold your breath," he said smoothly. "You risk damaging your respiratory system."

"Holdi'g by...?" Ryuunosuke's feverish mind struggled to comprehend what he might mean, and then it occurred to him. Oh... He means I shouldn't hold my sneezes in. Ryuunosuke went bright red. "Ah... R-right, I'll... I won't!"

"Hmph..." The prosecutor made a soft sound that might have indicated mild amusement. "Good night."

"Y-yes! Good... good night!" Ryuunosuke squeaked. As soon as the door had closed, he let out a breath and scrubbed a hand through his hair. Prosecutor Von Zeeks, huh...? Maybe he's not as bad as they say...

Ryuunosuke looked down at the handkerchief Von Zeeks had given him and smiled shyly as he pulled the blankets up over his shoulders and relaxed into his pillows.

Holy shit this is really adorable (and really embarrassing holy shit the second hand embarrassment is real) I really like these characters!! I would really love to know Von Zeeks side of the story~