Sneeze Fetish Forum

The Wrong Kind of Field (Remus Lupin, HP one-shot)

Dusty15

The Wrong Kind of Field

by Dusty15

rap0qu.png

This little short fic was inspired by the picture above. It was associated with a Harry Potter RP and the caption "Another disadvantage to Werewolfery- No control over where you wake up." Needless to say, that made me think… ;)

This takes place after Hogwarts graduation, sometime early during the First War.

--------------

He woke to the comforting presence of Padfoot at his side; the soft black fur warm in the early morning sunshine against his still-tender skin. Remus kept his eyes closed against the light, taking mental stock of his body. He took a tentative deep breath, discovering his nose was too blocked to get much air. Parting dry and cracked lips, he inhaled through his mouth in a wheezy-sounding gasp. The furry presence at his side disappeared, transforming to Sirius' summer-browned skin.

"You okay?" Sirius asked softly. Despite his normal boisterous personality, he nearly always remembered to speak quietly in the early mornings after the transformation when Remus' head ached terribly.

Remus took another strained breath and turned his head a little, snapping sharply with the explosion of an unexpected sneeze. EHH-tsght!

He moaned softly and reached a hand out to clutch his side. The skin there was mottled with an impressive purple-coloured bruise.

"Bless you," Sirius said while he scanned the pale expanse of Remus' body with his wand. The glow of diagnostic healing spells travelled up and down each limb, sparkling blue as they found scrapes and fractures.

“You've got a cracked rib there,” Sirius noted as his wand passed by the tender spot where Remus' hand rested protectively. “Move your hand and I'll mend it.”

“Hold on-” Remus said, nose wrinkling in an expression of irritation. “I have t...teh... nhh'GSHT! Ehh..hehh-tsghh!

His injured body was jostled with each wrenching sneeze and he moaned softly, still clutching his side.

“My nose...” he muttered, slowly opening his eyes and blinking rapidly. “Merlin, Sirius...where the hell am I?”

The sky above came into focus and in his peripheral vision Remus could see tall stalks of green. It wasn't unusual for Padfoot to lead Moony on a romp through the fields around the Welsh countryside. But Remus normally woke in a soft bed of grass or occasionally on the damp earth of the forest floor. Today, he was in neither place.

“You're in a field,” Sirius said, taking Remus' hand and pushing it aside. “I've got your things hidden in a tree about a kilometre from here. Let me finish fixing your rib and then I'll summon them.”

Remus' foggy brain began to process the situation more clearly as he squinted up at the sky, watching tiny motes of yellow pollen float lazily by on the wind. A stalk of green dipped in the breeze, leaning into his field of vision.

He was lying directly in a patch of mugwort.

He'd always suffered with spring allergies, but they were generally manageable with an allergy potion or simply avoiding spending time lying about in fields of pollen-laden weeds...

“We have to go,” Remus said, struggling to sit up.

“Lie still, Moony!” Sirius scolded, easily pushing his friend back down and poking his wand a little less gently against Remus' injured ribs. Muttering a spell, Sirius drew a line downward along the scared skin, knitting the fractured bone back together.

“Please...” Remus mumbled, trying to ignore the stabbing pain and the building itch in his sinuses. He reached up and rubbed at his nose in frustration. A thin line of congestion was already gathering there and threatening to dribble down his lip. His breath hitched a little and he closed his eyes, tensing in preparation for the inevitable.

Hurhh-TSGHH!

“You're awfully sneezy this morning,” Sirius observed, flicking his wand towards a distant tree. Remus' rucksack came soaring from a branch and zoomed towards them. “Got a cold?”

“No,” Remus groaned, sitting up finally and rubbing his eyes. A gritty feeling coated his eyeballs and gunk clung to the corners, sticking to his eyelashes. He sniffled miserably and reached for his bag. “You've managed to lead me directly into a pile of mugwort and I expect I'll probably be sneezing for the next several hours.”

Sirius looked around at the field of weeds and plucked one from the earth.

“What? This stuff?” he asked, shaking the stalk in demonstration.

“Christ, Pads!” Remus yelped, shying away from the plant. “Yes.”

“I'm sorry I don't have a catalogue memory of your ailments, Moony. Now get dressed and we can go,” Sirius said, pushing Remus' bag into the boy's lap.

Remus didn't seem all too concerned with dressing. Instead, his hands hovered in front of his twitching nose and his eyebrows raised in preparation. He pitched forward again, snapping violently into the shield of his palms as a sneezing fit took hold.

Hehh-TSGHT! Nhh-TSGH! 'TSGXHHTT! Ehh....hehh-TSGHSHH!

“You weren't kidding!” Sirius exclaimed, watching the fit with a look of slight awe and amusement.

“No,” Remus replied with a miserable sniff. “The ribs don't make it very fun either.”

“Ah...shit. No, I'm sure they don't,” Sirius agreed sympathetically. “You didn't manage to pack a handkerchief, did you? You're a bit...messy.”

Remus swiped at his nose with the side of his hand and sniffed.

“No. Hand me my shirt. The sooner I'm inside, the better.”

Oh my goodness, I'm in love with this little one-shot. I feel so notalgic for my early HP fandom days because I was ALL about Remus. You wrote him and Sirius so well! This actually happened in canon as far as I'm concerned. :P

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AAAAAAAAHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

REMUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is so good. Just - waking up, the descriptiveness you put into everything he's feeling:

He took a tentative deep breath, discovering his nose was too blocked to get much air. Parting dry and cracked lips

Remus' foggy brain began to process the situation more clearly as he squinted up at the sky, watching tiny motes of yellow pollen float lazily by on the wind. A stalk of green dipped in the breeze, leaning into his field of vision.

He was lying directly in a patch of mugwort.

and sneezing with a cracked rib... :drool:

This is SO GOOD.

Plus?!?! It's warm, and sweet, and funny, too!!! What more could I ask for!?!?

Sirius looked around at the field of weeds and plucked one from the earth.

“What? This stuff?” he asked, shaking the stalk in demonstration.

“Christ, Pads!” Remus yelped, shying away from the plant. “Yes.”

“I'm sorry I don't have a catalogue memory of your ailments, Moony.”

:laugh:

This is just perfect!

I was so excited when I saw this and ohmygosh, it was delightful! One of my all time fave classic pairings, I love the way your wrote their interaction and the world/circumstance, it all felt so very lived-in.

And I have such a weakness for the idea of one character noticing increased sneeziness and wondering if the other has a cold, so that was an additional moment of squealing for me in the already-brilliant piece!

Mmmmm, yes, this made me all kinds of happy. :wub: Characters waking up all hayfever-y is one of my all-time favourite scenarios, and you write Sirius och poor Remus so beautifully. <3

This was adorable! :wub2: There will always be a special space in my heart for these two! And post-moon care is always so cute!

Plus, Sirius's casualness when he asked if Remus had a cold totally got to me for some reason! :inlove:

This is charming. I enjoyed the easy friendship between Remus and Sirius. Poor Remus, talk about adding insult to injury.

• 2 weeks later...

Gyaaaaahhhhh this is amazing. I don't know why, but I have such a soft spot for allergic!Remus... <3

I don't know why, but I have such a soft spot for allergic!Remus... <3

Me too :wub:

Thanks for all the kind words, everyone! I need to write more Remus more often. He's my all-time fav :)

I've always had a soft spot for allergic Remus. Haven't read one in quite awhile so this was a nice surprise. :)