Sneeze Fetish Forum

If There's A Sneeze And Nobody Hears It...

Galaxy

'Ello, there, friends! This is my first piece of fiction on here, aside from my drabbles, and it's a request for Bongo. She asked for a fanfic about Emmett from the new ABC Family show Switched at Birth, about how he would have a cold and be in denial. You don't really have to know the show to understand the whole concept, but I'll explain it anyway. It's about two girls---Bay, who is very rich, and Daphne, who lives in what could generally be called the ghetto---who discover that they were switched at birth.

Now, I've been reeeeally behind in Switched at Birth episodes, so I wrote this after seeing episode 3. Before Baymmett, before anything significant, really. So that's why Bay isn't all too eager to help Daphne and Emmett, because she didn't really care for Daphne then. Here's a description of characters:

Emmett: Daphne's best friend. He's deaf and drives a motorcycle. It's been suggested multiple times that he has romantic feelings for Daphne, but it seems even he doesn't realize it. He's pretty laid back, but gets very serious when it comes to Daphne worrying about anything at all, or doing something that she doesn't want to. He can talk, but prefers not to.

Daphne: Emmett's best friend. She's deaf as well, but can read lips and has no problem with speaking. She is Toby's biological sister, and is very kind-hearted.

Bay: The girl that Daphne was switched with at birth. She speaks her mind, and can often seem rude because of it. Doesn't care too much about Daphne right now, because she's sort of angry about finding out about the switch.

Toby: The brother Bay grew up with, and Daphne's biological brother.

Liam: Only mentioned. He's Bay's ex-boyfriend, and at this point was Daphne's almost-boyfriend. He would often bring her lunch to her school (a school for the deaf) and drive her home. He took her out on a date, and his friends mocked her for being deaf, and since then Daphne hasn't been wanting to see him, but he still continues to try and win her back.

The first part isn't all that amazing, but it shall get better! Better indeed. I hope. :P

By the way, this is WAY over-due, and I'm super sorry for that. ;)

~~~~~

“Hey, Daphne’s still waiting for Emmett…Do you think we should-?”

Bay’s scowl stopped Toby from continuing with his question. “No. Her school’s too out of our way. We’ll be late.”

Toby frowned and glanced out the window at his biological sister, who was waiting in front of the Kennish’s guest house that she and her mother and grandmother lived in. She always got a ride from her best friend Emmett to the high school for the deaf that they both attended, but it seemed he would be late this morning. Daphne looked worriedly down the street, as if expecting Emmett to pull up on his motorcycle at any moment.

“I know, Bay, but come on…She’s my sister, too.”

Bay crossed her arms and was prepared to snap at her brother, when the roar of a motorcycle made her stop and glance out the window. “See? He’s already here. Let’s go.” And without waiting for a response from him, she hurried out the kitchen door and out to the driveway where her brother’s car awaited them, just as Emmett was pulling into the driveway.

Daphne smiled in relief and hurried over to her friend on the motorcycle. “Where have you been?” she asked him in sign language. Unlike Daphne, Emmett didn’t enjoy talking, so their conversations were always silent.

Emmett removed his helmet and smiled sheepishly at her. “Sorry,” he responded before swiping nonchalantly at his nose, which Daphne had begun to notice was a dull shade of pink. In fact, there were a lot of different things to be noticed about Emmett right about now; His glassy eyes, how his body was slumped with fatigue, and every few seconds his freckled nose would crinkle, and he would wince. Those must have been sniffles, Daphne thought, though of course she couldn’t hear a bit of it.

“Are you okay?” she asked worriedly before placing a hand on her best friend’s forehead. She felt a slight fever before he pushed her hand away.

”I’m fine!” he signed with a forced smile. “Really. Let’s go to—“ He couldn’t finish the motions to complete that sentence, and Daphne watched in concern as his eyes rolled up, brows knit together. Emmett hurriedly pulled the crook of his elbow to his face, but didn’t quite making it before jerking forward with an unexpected “Ihht-shiuu!”

“Bless you!” Toby called from across the driveway before hopping in his car along with Bay. As he backed out of the driveway, he frowned at Emmett and Daphne. “Hey, are you okay? You don’t look so good,” he said. But he must have been talking too fast, as Emmett quirked an eyebrow at the rich boy. “Wait…um, Daph…?”

Daphne nodded understandingly and translated his words into sign language. Emmett glowered briefly up at Toby before signing sternly back to Daphne. “I’m FINE. Now let’s go.”

She bit her lip worriedly and turned back to her brother. “He’s okay,” she assured Toby, though she herself wasn’t a bit convinced. Daphne waved as Bay and Toby sped out of the driveway, and climbed on the back of the motorcycle with Emmett. She considered feeling his forehead once more, just too make sure it really was a fever and not just heat due to the awful 95 degree May weather they were having. But then he would probably just tell her, once again, that he was alright.

I hope he’s alright…Daphne thought absently, putting on her helmet.

Daphne had been riding to school with Emmett on his motorcycle for the past year, and felt completely safe with it. Even though her biological mother Kathryn was terrified of the thought of a deaf boy driving, Daphne never had any reason to be afraid of driving with Emmett. He was a very good motorist.

Well. Usually, he was.

Every time Emmett would shake with a sneeze, Daphne would wrap her arms tighter around him and cringe at the thought of them crashing. Worried thoughts filled her head for the entire fifteen minute ride to school. What if he sneezed just as a car was turning in front of them, and they slammed into it? Or what if a dog or kitten ran out in front of them and the motorcycle flattened it? Or what if…

Oh. They were at school.

Daphne gave a shaky sigh of relief, glad that Emmett couldn’t hear her. Even though she had promised herself never to hang out with Liam again---especially after what his awful friends did to her--- Daphne couldn’t help but hope that he would come see her after school and give her a ride home. At least then she wouldn’t have to get back on the motorcycle with Emmett sneezing up a dangerous storm.

“Sorry about that,” he told her once they had both gotten off the bike. He smiled sweetly, in the way he always did, and Daphne felt an instant pang of guilt for not feeling safe with him.

“No, no, it’s okay,” she responded, slapping on a happy face. “But…are you sure you’re feeling well?”

Emmett’s smile faded in an instant. “I’m sure, Daphne. Just believe me. Please?” Without waiting for a response, he shoved his hands in his pockets and looked forward, hoping that he seemed completely well to her.

But of course he didn’t feel well. He had woken up with a terrible headache and a sore throat, and if his whole family hadn’t been deaf, they would have heard the multiple sneezing fits he had in the shower. But he couldn’t have been sick. No way. Emmett couldn’t be sick, not now; It was finals week, and he couldn’t afford to miss a single day. But if Daphne found out he had a cold, she would tell his mom, and his mom would make him stay home from school until he was well again. And that could not happen. Besides, he did have some awful allergies. It was a bit early for them to be acting up, but that had to be it. It HAD to.

“Igg’xxh!” he stifled a quick sneeze into his forearm, hoping that Daphne didn’t notice. But she did. Of course she did. She couldn’t hear, but hell, her intuition was killer. She quirked a blond eyebrow at him. “What?” he signed, resisting the urge to rub his nose, which had begun to run a bit.

“Nothing,” she responded, but continued to eye him worriedly. “So, are we still going to do our Deafenstein party tonight?”

It was all Emmett could do not to groan. He had forgotten about their monthly viewing of their favorite film, “Deafenstein.” He really didn’t feel up to going, but he hadn’t missed a Deafenstein party in over two years. “Of course it’s still---“

Emmett had to stop his signing when he felt his freckled nose twitch uncomfortably back and forth. He clamped a hand over the tickling appendage and tried to stifle three sneezes, with failed results. “Ihhn’ch! Ihhkshoo! Hh…Hn’shighh!!” He blinked in surprised when he felt the wetness in his palm, and felt his cheeks go red. “Be right back,” he quickly signed to Daphne before hurrying to the bathroom down the hall.

Thanking God that the bathroom was empty, Emmett pulled a paper towel from the dispenser and hurriedly blew his nose into it. Big mistake--- the paper towel was rough and felt massively irritating to his congested nose. This caused an awful and eye-watering tickle to build up. “Hih…uhh….H-Hh…” Crap. The sneeze was stuck. The sun always made Emmett sneeze, so he desperately looked up at the bright lights above the sink. This seemed to do the trick, as he shot forward into the paper towel, tiny tears leaking out of his blue eyes. “Ehhtch-hiuu!”

He sniffled thickly, feeling an absent pain behind his eyes. This would be a very long day.

~~~~

Well, I hope y'all enjoy the first part. There will be many more sneezes in the second part, I promise you. ;)

EEEEP! This is so much better than I had ever imagined! Totally worth the wait! The characterization is great, and you picked up on small things (like Emmet not being able to understand Toby) from the show great. And when I was thinking about how much I would love to see a sneezefic from this show, I definitely thought about the motorcycle and how dangerous it would be. I am so happy you did this for me.

Thanks!!!

Hee, I watched a couple of episodes of the show and I really liked it. I enjoy reading sneezfic most when I can visualize the people in my head, so it didn't matter much that I don't know the show because you filled in everything I need. And it was really sweet! I like the way you write, and a very interesting subject- love the title. I especially liked the last part, with the "awful and eye-watering tickle" that builds up, and then a stuck sneeze:) Ooh and your spellings are yummy.

Thank you so much for the kind words, everyone! I really appreciate it! And Bongo, I'm so happy that you like it! :laugh:

Alright, here's part two. It's a bit short, and I'm sorry for that, but I hope that description can make up for it...

~~~~

It was only after sneezing about a dozen times---and dirtying about the same amount of paper towels---that Emmett felt his cell phone vibrate in his pocket. He pulled it out, and groaned when he saw it was a text from Daphne. He LOVED getting texts from her, of course, but not when he knew the contents would be full of worry.

Where are you? :-(

He checked the time---8:04---and smacked a hand to his forehead. Emmett was late for their first class of the day. Without taking the time to give his nose another blow, even though it was desperately needed, the deaf teenager darted from the bathroom and down the hallway to the College Algebra classroom.

The first thing he noticed was Daphne’s look of joy to see him, and it brought a warm feeling to Emmett’s congested chest. But the delightful moment was brought to an end my their teacher signing at him in an irritated fashion. “You’re late, Emmett,” he said with a frown and a cocked eyebrow.

“I’m sorry,” Emmett responded, forcing himself not to look over at his best friend sitting in the front row. “I had to go---“ His hands stopped when his tiny nostrils began to quiver. With one hand frozen in the same place, he pulled the other to cover his mouth and nose. “Itschoo! TsschihH! Mbtssch!” he sneezed, trying desperately to stifle the last one. Feeling lightheaded and miserable, Emmett cleared his throat and signed an apology.

The teacher furrowed his brow in slight disgust, and offered (well, more like forced) forth the bottle of Germ-X sitting on his desk. And Emmett didn’t need to hear to know that at least a few of his classmates would chuckle at this. He took a pump of the hand sanitizer and rubbed his hands together before taking his usual seat next to Daphne, who texted him the moment the teacher turned his back.

Where’d you go?

Emmett wasted no time in responding. Nowhere.

Where?

Nowhere.

WHERE!? D:

Emmett couldn’t hide a small smile at this text, and decided that it wouldn’t kill him to tell him where he was. After all, why would she think that a trip to the bathroom meant that he was sick? Just went to the bathroom.

To blow your nose?

DAMN, she was good.

No! Can’t a guy take a leak without bei

Emmett’s fingers stopped tapping on the tiny keyboard as he felt the annoyingly familiar tickle grow in the back of his sinuses. He twitched his freckled nose back and forth in a useless attempt to be rid of the irritation, but that seemed to only make it a hundred times worse. Like, sneak-attack worse.

Eihhsch!” he sneezed uncovered towards his desk, fuzzily praying that this would be the only sneeze. It wasn’t, though. Not by a long shot. His nose crinkled, breath hitching against his wishes, before he shot forward once more for near whiplash-inducing sneezes. “Hh-ckshh! Ahhkshih! Ig’ntchoo! Huhh- Huhhuhshoo!”

Finally, he thought in relief, dragging a sleeve beneath his nose, which was growing runnier and stuffier with each passing moment. With an obnoxiously thick sniffle, he smiled sheepishly at Daphne, hoping that she wouldn’t overreact with that fit.

But Daphne’s gaze didn’t meet his. She was staring in horror at something right behind her best friend.

Don’t tell me…

Emmett slowly turned to find the teacher looming behind him, a scowl on his face. At first, Emmett thought that the professor was a much bigger germaphobe that he had previously suspected, before he noticed that his cell phone was still open in his hand.

Crap.

The teacher snatched the phone and pocketed it. “You may have it back at the end of the day,” he signed, before thrusting forth the tiny bottle of hand sanitizer that Emmett hadn’t even noticed was clipped to the older man’s belt loop. He begrudgingly took the sanitizer, and absently wondered if he was sick.

No. I’m being paranoid. It’s allergies, just allergies…God, I hope it’s allergies.

The rest of the class period was awful, to say the least. Especially when the teacher would hurry forth with the sanitizer after each sneeze of Emmett's. This was normal behavior, and Emmett had seen multiple students with an unfortunate case of sneezes have the Germ-X thrust upon them. But not him...no. This never happened to him, and it was embarrassing.

Emmett didn't get embarrassed. And the fact that he was currently embarrassed was...well. Embarrassing.

Halfway through the hour, his nose decided to act up even more than it already had that day. It grew inanely stuffy, so much so that our protagonist couldn't even breathe through it. This was awful, because breathing through his mouth wasn't exactly comfortable; It irritated his sore throat terribly. So after about ten minutes of debating with himself, he slowly stood and rushed to the back of the room where the glorious tissue box awaited him. He snatched one, folded it in half, and pressed it to his smothering nose.

Getting his sinuses cleared---clearer than they were at the moment, anyway--- felt like heaven. At least now he could breathe through one nostril, even though it wasn't exactly vacant. After tossing the tissue in the wastebasket, Emmett turned around to go back to his desk, and nearly screamed when he found the teacher lurking inches behind him, the bottle of hand sanitizer at the ready. And everyone was looking at him, Daphne especially.

This day just keeps getting better and better.

~~~~~

Just as Emmett suspected, Daphne completely grilled him after class.

“What was that about?” she demanded, and Emmett couldn’t tell if the frown she had on was out of worry or irritation. It was always so hard to tell with her.

“What was what about? The part where the damn teacher forced Germ-X on my fifty times, or when he took my phone?”

“Everything!” Daphne frowned and, after a brief moment of consideration, pressed a palm to Emmett’s forehead. He was about to brush it away, but…her hand felt so cool against his skin. “A fever!” she signed, and placed both hands on her hips before pulling them back up to say more. “You need to go home and rest and-“

“I don’t have to do anything!” he responded rapidly, and felt a jolt of self-hatred when his nose suddenly turned on like a faucet. Feeling like he didn’t have to explain himself further, Emmett entered the nearest bathroom for a much needed tissue. Or two. Or nine.

But when he exited the bathroom, he found that the hallway was empty---aside from Daphne and the school guidance counselor. In other words, his mom, Melody.

Feeling a hot flash of anger and disbelief, Emmett turned to Daphne and signed very slowly. “Dude. You told my MOM on me?”

~~~

And this concludes part 2! ;) Once again, thank you guys so much for reading, and I certainly hope you like this update!

Tons of love,

Awesome Galaxy

PS: I loved writing for the germaphobe teacher...he was fun. :laugh:

Okay, I just reread this like three times. Because I love it so much. For a whole lot of reasons.

First, all of Emmett's suffering was sooo cute, the poor boy. He's just sneezing his head off and being all "I'm fine, don't worry about me!" even though he's feeling really awful. I love how he's completely and totally denying the possibility he's sick to everyone, including himself. And the spellings for the sneezing fits were yummy. :drool:

He was super in character, too, this: "Emmett didn't get embarrassed. And the fact that he was currently embarrassed was...well. Embarrassing." seems exactly like him. He's a very guarded individual, that boy. Which is probably why I love him sick. :yes:

And I love, love, LOVE the germaphobic teacher! Poor Emmett just everyone to ignore him and this teacher keeps calling attention to him. I half expected the teacher to spray the air with Lysol every time Emmett sneezed and maybe burn the desk Emmett was sitting at after class.... :laugh:

Dude, this was AWESOME!!! :laugh: I LOVE YOU! :yes: Great chapter! Update soon!

BYE! :drool:

Gahh. Poor sneezy Emmett. Also, I laughed SO HARD at the teacher with hand sanitizer attatched to his belt. Except in RL that would definitely embarrass the hell out of me. B-P But seriously, this story is so cute!! Loving it :)

• 2 months later...

I just reread this and realized I never commented on chapter 2. I love it just as much, if not more, than chapter 1! Any chance of a chapter 3?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

First off. BONGO. I'm so, so sorry that this has been such a long bloody process! Perhaps you've noticed, perhaps not, but I haven't been on the forum since the end of October due to computer and health reasons, and that's why I took so long with it before. But, really, I'm just SO sorry that this hasn't been the quick process I was hoping it would be when I took on the request, and I'm really super sorry to have to make you wait. Really, I hope you can forgive the wait.

And to everyone else! I'm sorry as well, though I'm super glag that you've liked this. smile.png

Please enjoy part 3! And since I totally owe you, Bongo, a part 4 will be coming within the week. Once again, I'm sorry for the wait! sadsmiley.gif

~~~

“I'm sorry, Emmett,” Daphne signed hurriedly, “but I just want you to feel better, and that can't happen with you being so stubborn all the---”

“Oh, I'M stubborn!” he responded furiously. “Daphne, we're already juniors. Almost adults. Even if I were sick, it's my own decision whether or not to come to school. Why can't you just get that?”

“Emmett, don't be angry with Daphne,” Melody signed calmly, examining her son's feverish, sniffling form. “I saw her in the hallway and asked if you were alright. I'm your mom, Emmett; I can tell when you aren't feeling well. She knew that you would be mad at her, but I made her tell me.”

Oh...crap.

Emmett frowned and turned to Daphne, who had her arms crossed over her chest, looking more than a little irritated. “I...Crap. Daphne, I'm really...” His hands paused as yet another infuriating tickle crept into the depths of his sinuses.

Not now. Oh, come on, not now...

His jaw hung open slightly as the irritation slowly attacked his nose. “Hih...h-huh-!” Emmett gasped, a hand at the ready to cover the oncoming explosion that was taking an obnoxiously long time to release itself. The matter was only made worse by his mother and best friend watching him so intently. All at once, his eyes slammed shut, and he clamped the hand over his nose. Emmett bent at the waist and sneezed. And sneezed. And sneezed.

“HhhuhHH'sh! Hh-ckshh! Ahhkshih! Ig’ntchoo! Huhh- Huhhuhshoo! Huh--- huHH-- Huhhihschh! Mbbtchshh'OO! Huh...hih-- HiHH-- Ischshh'ihhOO!”

When the fit finally subsided, the congestion and sniffles and headache remained. Emmett placed a hand on the brick wall to steady himself, cursing the nose that he knew was running furiously. He wanted to yell in anger, punch the wall until his knuckles bled. And more than anything, he wanted to just...cry. He hadn't cried in...what? A month now? He was due for a good cry anyway...

But not in front of Daphne. Not in front of his mom.

He could see Melody signing out of the corner of his eye, but he couldn't look up at her. He just wanted to be left alone at this point, and was just growing frustrated with their presence with each passing moment. Emmett was about to look up to sign at them furiously to just leave him be, but Daphne embraced him in a hug just them. She looked worried, very much so, and...that hug really did feel great.

Emmett frowned, refusing to meet her eyes, or his mom's, and slowly hugged his best friend back. He sniffled back a nose that was begging him to blow it. The sick teenager removed his arms from around Daphne and signed slowly, “Can...Can I just have a moment?”

Melody nodded sympathetically, and Daphne smiled lightly, knowing that he had finally given in. Emmett retreated back into the bathroom and gave his freckled nose a good blow, furiously fighting back tears of frustration. He could wait until he went home, when he was alone and allowed to cry and sneeze and blow his nose without feeling ridiculous.

He waited a few minutes before leaving the bathroom, his nose feeling rough from all the blowing. Melody was still waiting for him, but Daphne seemed to have run off to class. This frustrated him further; He wanted one last goodbye from Daphne.

“Let's get you home,” said his mother lovingly before taking her son's hand and leading him down the hallway. Emmett frowned and looked away, hoping no one would be wandering the halls to see this. He was far too tired to deal with the complaining his mom would do if he refused to hold her hand, though.

The car was hot in the autumn sun, and this only made Emmett's nose run more, and his sinuses feel as though they would explode. He groaned miserably and rested his head against the warm window, begging for the air conditioner in Melody's misbehaving car to work for once. He nearly sighed in relief when it did.

At a stop light, Melody tapped him on the shoulder. Emmett sniffed in dismay, not wanting to face his mom with his obnoxiously dripping nose and eyes. He could barely make out what she was signing, something about dropping him off and then having to go back to work. He nodded absently, mind focused on keeping his water faucet of a nose to suddenly transform into Niagra Falls. An instant later, though, something caught his attention out of the corner of his eye. It was him mom, holding out a small packet of tissues and looking sympathetically at her son.

Emmett blushed, but signed a quick “Thank you” before taking a tissue. He waited until his mom wasn't looking to blow powerfully into it, though not much could be expelled due to his irritated sinuses.

They arrived at their house not too long after this, and the only thing stopping Emmett from darting into the home was his aching head, though he did nearly trip in his hurry to get in the door. The first place he went was the bathroom was to give his unfortunate nose a solid wipe. He nearly winced when he realized just how sore the openings in his nose were, however, and had to force himself to finish the job that hurt so terribly.

Upon emerging from the bathroom, he found the bed in his room made neatly, with a glass of 7up resting on the nightstand. He glanced around to find his mom, and nearly gasped when she was right behind him.

"I'm sorry, honey, but I have to get back," she signed regrettingly before giving Emmett a large hug. "You rest, okay? I'll be home right after basketball practice."

Emmett nodded, and, in what must have been his delerious state, gave him mom a second hug. God, he missed being a kid, having her to take care of him all the time...

She smiled absently and hugged back. "Take a nap, Emmett. Text me when you wake up, too, okay?" She didn't wait for an answer before having to hurry out of the house and back to work. Emmett nearly chased after her, desiring nothing more than her infamous chicken soup and tender loving care.

I deserve to have my man card revoked...He thought to himself, crawling beneath the blissfully crisp sheets. The comfort didn't last long, however, when a sharp tickle made it's way to his nose, and didn't seem to be fond of giving him a warning. Emmett glanced at his nightstand desperately, hoping to find a box of tissues, only to see that there was nothing. What happened next was just a reaction, one that he would scold himself for later. He buried his nose in the sheets and sneezed rapidly.

"Ihhpshh! Hh-Huhhtchshh! Ih-! Hihh-tschh!"

Ugh. How gross.

Emmett stared in revolt at the sheet before folding it over so he wouldn't have to touch it. He sniffed, wiping a wrist against his nose, and burrowed himself under the covers, trying desperately to fall into a sleep that would no doubt be fitfull and congested.

Edited by Galaxy

Oh my gosh! Am I really the first one to comment on this? Yay! Anyway, I am sooooooo excited for the next update!!! Update soon!

BYE! :bleh:

Thank you so much for continuing this! After watching last week's yesterday (I'm a little off on TV watching) I am really feeling the Emmet-Angst. And this was angsty and adorable, just the way I like it. This was totally worth the wait. Thanks!

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Augha, this came right around the perfect time. xD Heh, so, I'm sure you noticed since I haven't updated, but I haven't been able to get on the forum for months now, as it's been on and off for the past year. I've had this baby written for ages now, but just haven't gotten to come back to the forum due to security reasons, but now I'm (hopefully) back for good, so here it is! xD Once again, I'm sorry the process has been so damn long, I promise you it would have gone super fast if not for issues with my computer and security and things of the kink. x.x

~~~

The sleep was a fitfull one, but the deaf teenager was felt too terrible to care. All he wanted was some rest, some sleep, and he cursed himself each time his clogged sinuses woke him up. He would just roll over and desperately try to lull him back to sleep; A dull, muddled sort of sleep.

He didn't wake until he felt eyes on him, and nearly panicked when he opened his bleary blue eyes and saw Daphne sitting on the edge of the bed, smiling softly. It was all Emmett could do not to jump out of his skin.'

“How're you feeling?” she signed, tilting her head caringly. “I skipped basketball practice; Told your mom that I was feeling bad, too.” Daphne laughed a bit before placing a gentle hand on his leg. “You feeling better?”

He wanted desperately to make her feel reassured. He could have---he should have---said that he was feeling much better. His head didn't ache, his throat wasn't swelled, his nose wasn't dripping mercilessly every five seconds. “Not really...” he sighed to her regrettingly, biting his lip a bit guiltily. “But you should go, I don't want you catching anything.”

The look Daphne gave him nearly broke his heart. It was sweet and firm and full of sister-like love all at the same time. “Of course I'm staying. Can't have you be lonely.” She dug in her bag for a moment before pulling out a copy of Deafenstein, smiling. “Figured we'd have the party here. If that's okay?”

Emmett swallowed and smiled a bit shakily. If it were anyone else, he would have asked them to leave so he could rest. But with Daphne? He would have spent all the time in the world with her if he could. It was only a shame that there were only twenty-four hours in a day. He could have spent it all with her.

He started to reply, when a horrid tickle started up in his nose, and Emmett clumsily brought his hands to cover his face. “Ihhschhh'UU! Iyytchh!” He sniffled, congestion fading a bit, before glancing up to her with a deep blush, signing timidly. “Sorry...”

Daphne smiled gently and offered him the nearby box of tissues. He didn't have the chance to decline before she signed, “I know how you are. Quit being stubborn; Blow your nose. You can do that in front of me.”

He swallowed, looking to her nervously, before taking a tissue and giving his nose a solid blow. For the first time, he was glad that Daphne couldn't hear a thing. “I'm sorry,” he signed after wiping thoroughly at his nose. “I'm sure this is disgusting...I know we're best friends, Daphne, but don't feel obligated to stay. Really, I won't feel bad.”

Daphne watched him for a moment, her head cocked, before placing a hand to his forehead. She tutted at the fever before smiling softly, the freckes on her nose dancing with a small laugh. “Emmett. I don't feel obligated to do anything. I want to stay. Okay? I want to keep my best friend company and have a good time.” She ruffled his short hair with one last laugh. “Plus, you're funny when you're sick.”

He blushed deeper at this, but couldn't keep back a light laugh. “Okay, okay, but don't blame me when you get sick, Daphne, got it?”

She smiled brilliantly at his cooperation. “Got it!” And with that, she hopped up to his television and inserted the DVD of Deafenstein into the player before rushing back to his bed. “Scoot over!” she demanded in a way that only a best friend could, and sat on his bed with him.

Emmett swallowed and inched over for her, still frightened of getting her sick. But the thought of watching Deafenstein with his best friend really was a great thought. He laid back in bed, turning his pillow longways and hugging it comfortably as the film started. Barely a moment later, Daphne did the same with her pillow, right next to him, snuggling close so their foreheads were touching. She winced at how high his fever was, and pulled the blanket up over them.

“You tell me if you need anything, okay?” she said, giving him a small smile. “I'll get it.”

Emmett nodded in thanks, about to respond, when his nose crinkled, eyebrow twitching as a sneeze built. He hurriedly pulled his hands to his face, trying desperately to stifle them, even if Daphne couldn't hear him. “Ihhxstt! Hi'iexxsh! Hih—ihh--”

Daphne yanked his hands away for the last sneeze, frowning at seeing him stifling, about to scold him for potentially hurting himself.

“IeHHShh'UU!” he sneezed, hurriedly snatching the blanket to hide his face. He blushed deeply and motioned for her to hand him a tissue.

Daphne sighed and shook her head, retrieving the box from the nightstand and offering it to him. Emmett sniffled and took one, turning away from Daphne to blow his nose, mind muddled with fever and embarrassment.

A long moment passed before Daphne gingerly rubbed his back, hoping to comfort him. She waited for him to feel comfortable enough to face him, and was honestly a bit nervous that she had upset him. Emmett rarely got upset, and this just made her feel awful.

When he finally turned back around, she saw a cherry red nose and wet eyes, looking absolutely miserable with the sickness. She sighed and slid her arms around Emmett, nuzzling into his chest and giving him a squeeze. Maybe he would be embarrassed by this, but she knew that when she was sick, all she really wanted was to feel comfortable and loved.

Emmett jumped a bit at her embrace, instantly feeling her warmth, and sighed, hugging around her as well and sniffling. He looked to her apologetically, but Dahpne stopped him before he was able to get his hands off of her.

“Come on. You're always there for me when I'm sick or hurt, ALWAYS. Don't tell me you don't feel miserable, because I can tell you do. Emmett. Let me be here for you...Okay? I don't think you're gross or anything. I think you're my best friend, Emmett, and I want to be here to make you feel better if I can.” She didn't allow him to answer, instead embracing him and snuggling into his chest, turning to watch Deafenstein.

Emmett sighed with a harsh sniffle, sliding his arms around Daphne's warm body and relaxing, trying to pay attention to the film, but finding himself focusing on the smell of Daphne's hair, the feeling of her breathing, the feel of her head snuggled into his chest. God, he wanted to be more than friends. He'd wanted that since puberty. But telling her would only drive her away...

He sniffled once more and closed his eyes. Even with this miserable cold, even with looking like hell in front of Daphne, he found himself smiling to himself. And as he drifted into sleep, he pretended---just for a moment---that Daphne was more than his best friend...

~~~

Now, this is based early on in the series, back when Emmett was still crazy about Daphne, soo..~~

I secretly ship them really really hard. xD Ah, but anyway, I want to apologize again for this all taking so painfully long, and hope that it was enjoyed at any rate. ^^;

When I saw this I was like OMG! Somebody remembers this awesome story that was never finished! But then I saw it was you and I died. I literally died and now I'm pretty sure I'm in heaven. :heart:

BYE! :bleh:

P.S. Welcome back Galaxy! :hug:

BYE! Again. :bleh: :bleh: