Sneeze Fetish Forum

Princes Don't Get Sick - (19 Parts)

angora48

Well, now that I've dabbled in the wild world of Twilight fanfic, I'm going back into obscurity with a Kings sickfic.

Title: "Princes Don't Get Sick" - hey, what do you know! I actually have a title for once!

Fandom: Kings. Did anyone watch this last season? If not, all you really need to know is that it's loosely based on the biblical story of David and takes place in a modern-day ruling monarchy.

Disclaimer: Not my characters, I just use them (and abuse my favorites :P !) Spoilers for the pilot and episode 108 ("Pilgrimage"). Nothing yet, but there will be some light slash later.

Summary: David feels sorry for Jack when the prince catches a cold at an inopportune time.

Part 1 is super short and it's more of an intro, so I'll post it tonight and get the next part up in the morning. If you've read my fics before, you know I don't post until I have a good head start, so I can normally manage daily updates. Here we go - hope you like it!

Rose carefully looked over the menu before her. “Satisfactory,” she told the head chef, “but remember that we want Gilboan beef only. The king believes Austerian beef tastes ‘too snooty.’”

The chef bowed his head. “Yes, ma’am.”

As the chef exited silently, Rose caught a slight movement in the corner of her eye. She turned to find her son Jack standing in the doorway. He was sharply dressed in chic designer brands, and his short hair was perfectly styled, as always. “No rest for the weary, I see,” Jackson said with his usual wry smile. “What is it this time?”

“Your father’s return banquet,” Rose explained. “In two days’ time, the king’s plane will be landing, and the palace will be bursting with Gilboa’s finest, ready to welcome him back.”

“I’m sure it’ll be a runaway success,” Jack replied, with just a hint of boredom.

Rose frowned slightly as a sudden thought occurred to her. “Are you just going out now?” she asked. “I thought you’d left already.”

“Just coming back,” Jack corrected, stepping into the room. “I wasn’t in the mood.”

Rose raised a single eyebrow. “The prince not in the mood for lavish parties and doting young women?” she asked. “Whatever will the press think?”

Jack smiled. “I just wanted to say good night before I turn in.”

This statement gave the queen pause. “You’re going to bed already?” Rose asked. “Jack, it’s not even 10:30! You’re not coming down with something, are you?”

“No,” Jack replied, giving her a light smirk.

“I mean it,” Rose pressed. “This banquet is important; all eyes will be on us. I can’t have you sick.”

“Mother, you worry too much,” Jack said. “I’m just tired.” He stooped to kiss her forehead. “I’ll see you in the morning.”

See you soon!

Edited by angora48
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• angora48

• Aprilcot

• ID2006

• The Sneezster

Here's Part 2 - this one's going to play out kind of slowly, so I hope you guys don't mind a lot of buildup. :P

Jack awoke in a fog. Beneath the billowy folds of his blankets, he had a vague awareness of palace staff in his room. One was laying out clothes for him. Another was opening the shades – sunlight beamed directly into his eyes. Jack pulled a pillow over his head.

“Thank you!” he called, attempting not to sound curt. “Tell the queen I’ll be down presently.”

After a pair of ‘Yes, sir’s, Jack heard retreating footsteps and a shutting door. This was his mother’s doing. Very rarely did anyone expressly tell Jack to get out of bed, but occasionally, if the queen felt he’d slept long enough, a few servants were sent in to bustle about the room until he got up. Jack’s mother wasn’t always direct, but she generally got precisely what she wanted.

Jack stretched out in bed and rolled onto his back, squinting in the light. When he sat up, his head felt heavy. Jack sighed; he knew where this was going. A few speculative swallows found him with a mild ache in his throat. Jack made a face and dragged himself out of bed.

Since his mother was obviously impatient this morning, Jack kept his shower brief, forcing his drowsy limbs to lather and wash quickly. The hot water felt good, and Jack would’ve liked to linger, but he knew it’d be unwise – the queen became testy when people kept her waiting.

He sneezed once in the shower, a loud “Heh-SHUHHH!” that caught him offguard. His head snapped forward when he sneezed, and he reached a hand out to steady himself. Afterward, he pushed his wet hair back and spit out the water in his mouth. There was water in his eyes, too – he blinked hard and wiped them.

Jack dried off hastily and hurried to brush his teeth. As he buttoned his shirt, he nose began to twitch again, and he reached for the box of tissues by the sink. “Ah… eh… Eh-Chiuhhh!” He grabbed the towel rung for balance as he sneezed into a tissue, bending over double.

Lovely. Just lovely. The queen would be so pleased. After blowing his nose thoroughly, Jack rushed to finish dressing. However, he was careful to make sure he looked impeccable, above suspicion. He assumed the lecture was inevitable, but he wanted to postpone it for as long as possible.

Because Jack’s father was still overseas, one of the palace cooks was making breakfast. Crepes. It was the type of breakfast they had when the king was gone. The queen’s idea of breakfast. No scrambled eggs or bacon on her watch. “Good morning, sir,” the cook said when Jack entered. “Blueberry or raspberry?”

“Blueberry, thanks,” Jack said. He strode past his mother and sister, straight to the coffee pot.

“Late night?” Michelle asked. “You look tired.”

Jack bit his lip to hold back a sigh. His sister was sweet and caring – to a fault. “Good borning to you, too,” he said. He heard a whiff of congestion in his voice and fought the urge to wince.

Unfortunately, the queen heard it, too. “What was that, Jack?” she asked.

But Jack wasn’t going down without a fight. “What?” he said, pretending he didn’t hear. Before his mother could respond, he continued. “Am I the odly wod who thinks that the hedge od the east end of the grounds is looking extraordidarily shabby? Sobeone should get od that before Father’s big party.”

Though Jack wasn’t looking at her, he could feel his mother’s eyes on him. “You’re absolutely right,” she said. “Thomasina, see that someone attends to that.”

Thomasina, ever the faithful gopher, nodded respectfully. “Yes, ma’am.”

“Oh, and send the physician down here,” the queen added.

Thomasina’s eyes flickered to Jack, only for a moment. “Yes, ma’am,” she repeated. She left the kitchen.

For a moment, the only sound was the cook busily preparing crepes. Jack’s mouth formed into a tight frown. “You said you weren’t getting sick,” his mother said pointedly.

“Last dite, I didn’t think I was,” Jack countered, loudly pulling out a chair at the table. “Apparently, I was bistaken.”

Jack’s mother grimaced. “You sound just awful.”

“Doh, I don’t,” Jack retorted with a sigh. “You’re overreacting.”

“Jack, your father’s banquet is tomorrow night,” the queen informed him. “I need you there – smiling, charming, and handsome.”

“I’ll be there,” Jack promised, “and I’ll be all of those things. It’s fide.” He raised his fist to his mouth and coughed lightly.

“You’re not feeling well?” Michelle asked. Honestly, Jack couldn’t believe sometimes that she was their father’s favorite.

“It’s a cold,” he told her flatly. He turned back to the queen. “It’s a cold – there’s dothing to be concerned about.”

The queen took a sip of coffee, turning away. “Eat your breakfast,” she instructed. Jack sighed and stared at the plate before him. Elbow on the table, he rubbed his nose, sniffling slightly. The day was off to such an excellent start.

Here's Part 3.

Jack opened his mouth widely, sticking out his tongue. He was acutely aware of his mother’s eyes watching him. “Your throat is a little red,” the palace physician informed him. “Is it sore?”

“Barely,” Jack said, “and odly when I swallow.”

“I notice you’re slightly congested,” the physician said.

Jack avoided his mother’s gaze. “Just a little,” he protested quietly.

The physician nodded. She lightly touched Jack’s glands. “Tired?” she asked.

“A little,” Jack said. He was trying to be aloof, but his nose was bothering him. “Eh…” His eyes closed and he raised a hand to his face, turning away. “Ah-hih-Chiooo!” He hoped to God he wasn’t blushing.

“Bless you, sir,” the physician said. She held a tissue box out to Jack, and he wiped his nose hastily. “Any other discomfort?”

Jack’s eyes met his mother’s momentarily. “A bit headachy,” he confided in a low voice.

“All right, then,” the physician said with a nod. She turned to the queen. “It’s nothing serious, ma’am,” she said. “He’s only caught a slight head cold. He should be feeling back to normal in a few days.”

“Thank you, doctor,” Jack’s mother replied. “Any recommendations?”

“Nothing out of the ordinary,” the physician admitted. “No late nights, avoid strenuous activity, plenty of fluids – the classics, ma’am.”

“Yes, thank you,” the queen said. “That will be all.” The physician nodded and left. The queen brushed her hair back and began to pace a little. “I can’t believe your timing.”

“You think I planned this?” Jack asked. “Sorry, Buther, but I’be afraid I’be not so pointlessly coddiving.”

“Don’t be ridiculous,” his mother replied. “Of course, I don’t think you ‘planned’ it. I’m just very put out, Jack. I already told you –”

“Father’s banquet – I know,” Jack said. “Don’t worry, Buther. I doh the drill; I won’t ebbarrass you.” He turned his head. “Heh-SHIUHHH!”

“It’s not only that,” the queen went on. Jack wondered if she’d even listened to him. “I’m going to need the staff entirely at my disposal to be ready for this affair. There won’t be time for anyone to coddle a sick prince.”

It only took Jack a moment to shrug off the sting of his mother’s remark. “That won’t be a problem,” he said. “Dot too worry – I’ll stay out of everyone’s way. I won’t bug addyone but by guys.” He sniffled.

“See that you don’t,” his mother warned. She glanced at her watch. “Weren’t you supposed to entertain Mr. Melknap today?”

Jack frowned. “Yes, but he’s dot due to arrive until after four.”

“Never mind,” the queen said. “I’ll have Michelle do it. Just take it easy today, and stay out of trouble.”

“…Yes, Buther,” Jack replied. As he walked away, he rubbed the bridge of his nose wearily.

Have a good day, everybody!

Poor jack and what a mean mother.

I'm enjoying this very much.

:P

I'm not terribly familiar with this fandom, but I really like this fic so far and you have great characterization from what I can tell!

I hope to keep seeing more updates :-)

Here's Part 4, an extra-long one to make up for the short update yesterday. I'm glad people are liking it!

“Here we are,” the cabbie said. “1024 Tranquility Ave.”

“Thanks,” David said, handing the man a twenty. He stepped out of the cab and onto the sidewalk.

David had been a little surprised when Jack had agreed to see him, but now he was beginning to suspect the prince had given him the brush-off. He stood in front of an Ice Cream Shack, a popular fast food franchise. Was Jack just playing a joke on him?

The large crowd gathered outside the building, however, piqued David’s curiosity, and he ventured closer. As he neared the door, David saw that the restaurant was empty, save for its employees, a few bodyguards, and Jack. The prince of Gilboa sat at a booth in the corner; it looked like he’d ordered a chicken strip basket.

“Andrea, I’m telling you, it’s the prince!” David turned and saw a young woman talking excitedly on her cell phone. “The Ice Cream Shack on Tranquility – get down here now!”

At that moment, Jack looked up and his eyes met David’s. He motioned one of his security guys over and gestured to the door. The large man walked over and opened the door. “Captain Shepherd,” he said. David slipped inside as the spectators on the sidewalk continued to clamor.

“Ah, Shepherd!” Jack said. He took a bite of toast. “Thanks for beeting be here.” He frowned and wriggled his nose a little. “Why don’t you order sobething and have a seat?”

“Oh, that’s all right…” David started to say.

Jack rubbed his nose. “Shepherd, the banager of this fide establishment very graciously agreed to close up his restaurant for be and by guys, so the least we cad do is give him his bunny’s worth.” He pulled a credit card out of his wallet and slid it across the table. “Whatever you want.”

David wasn’t sure what to think. In his experience, Jack only behaved amiably when he had ulterior motives. David was wary, but he couldn’t think of any way ordering fast food could be detrimental, so he got a hamburger and a chocolate milk shake. “Okay,” the very nervous, very excited girl at the counter said. “You can sit down. We’ll bring that to you right away… Captain Shepherd!” She was smiling so wide, David could practically see her wisdom teeth.

“So,” he said, returning to Jack’s booth, “Jack Benjamin eats fast food.”

Jack smiled, dipping a French fry in ketchup. “Yes,” he said. “I generally bake do with by father’s homemade breakfasts and by buther’s royal cuisine, but sobetimes, I’m in the mood for something cheap and greasy.”

“And when you are, people close restaurants for you?” David asked.

Jack shrugged. “I bake it worth their while,” he explained. He wrinkled his nose and sniffed. “As a general rule, I enjoy the adoring masses, but dot when I’be eating. They cad watch from outside.”

David resisted the urge to chuckle. “I’m sorry – I guess I’m just not used to seeing my prince sitting in a booth and eating French fries out of a cardboard sleeve,” he said.

Jack laughed at that. “It’s dot something I do often,” he explained, “but I’be getting a cold, and I always prefer fast food whed I’be sick.” He grabbed his water glass and took a sip. “I bead, if I’be down with the flu or something, I’ll do the soup, the tea, and what have you, but if I’be just feeling a little stuffed up and worn out, I love sobething that cobes wrapped in paper or in a cardboard box with plastic utensils.” He picked up his napkin and covered his mouth with it, coughing.

This surprised David. Jack was, if anything, very proud, and such a frank admission seemed out of character. He sat there for a moment, looking at the prince dumbly. “I, uh… I didn’t realize you were sick.”

“Well, we haven’t alerted the papers,” Jack said wryly. He picked up one of his chicken strips, dipped it in gravy, and took a bite. “Mmm. Dothing against barbeque sauce, but it can’t compare to the gravy they bake here.” Taking another drink of water, he cleared his throat. “So, what’s the trouble?”

“Oh, we don’t have to do this now,” David said quickly. “I mean, if you’re not…”

“Shepherd, relax,” Jack told him. “What is it?”

“Well,” David explained, “I’ve been invited to a party at the palace tomorrow night.”

“Of course,” Jack replied. “The king’s illuh… hag od…” He turned away, pressing the back of his hand against his nose. “Heh-CHIUHHH!” David watched the prince rock forward a little as he sneezed. David didn’t know what to do – he found himself quite speechless.

Jack sat back up, sniffling briskly. “The king’s illustrious return banquet,” he repeated. “Excuse me.”

David was tongue-tied. He didn’t know what he was expected to do when the prince sneezed. Did he say “God bless you?” Was he supposed to ignore it? Desperately, he turned toward one of Jack’s bodyguards, but he couldn’t get the man to make eye contact.

“Shepherd!” Jack exclaimed. David turned back quickly. “Stay with be, here – what about the banquet?”

“Oh,” David stammered. “Well, I… I was thinking about the suit that you loaned me – you know, for that ball…”

“Yes, I rebebber,” Jack replied. He brought his napkin to his mouth and coughed into it. “What about it?”

“I, uh, I was wondering if maybe I could borrow it again?” David explained fumblingly.

“Ah,” Jack said. “One second.” He turned toward one of the Ice Cream Shack employees who were buzzing around, a teenage girl. “Hey, tell be something. The browdie sundae – does that come with hot fudge, or just plade –”

“We can do hot fudge!” the girl blurted out.

Jack gave her a smile. “Great.” He watched the girl race back to the kitchen. “Addyway,” he said, turning back to David, “I’be dot sure you’ve thought this through. I bead, if you show up to every high-profile event wearing by clothes, what are people going to think?”

David hadn’t thought of that. “You’re right,” he said, embarrassed. “Of course.” He stood up quickly. “I’m sorry to bother you.”

“Don’t be so apologetic all the tibe,” Jack instructed. “Don’t worry about it – I don’t have addything to do or addywhere to be today. I was supposed to baby-sit the foreign uddersecretary of Doh-One-Gives-a-Dabb this afterdood, but by buther wants to keep be udder wraps at the bobent.” He picked up his napkin. “Hah-SHUHHH!” Sniffling, he wiped his nose. “Do your ears ever plug up whed you sdeeze?” he asked David. “It drives be crazy.”

“I… don’t know?” David said lamely. Jack smirked.

“So it’s settled, thed,” Jack announced. “We’ll get you a dew suit after lunch.”

“Oh!” David said. “No, really – you don’t have to do…”

“Shepherd, whed will you learn that you’re with royalty dow?” Jack asked. “Those in our ebploy – their deeds are taken care of. Ooh, dice!” He turned as the young girl approached the booth, bringing a large brownie sundae. “Thadks a lot,” he told her, flashing a smile.

“…Uh huh,” the girl said. She watched Jack lean forward to take a bite.

Jack looked back at her. “Good work,” he said, probably a gentle hint for her to leave.

“Uh… Prince Jack?” the girl stammered.

“Yeah?” Jack said. He wiped his mouth with his napkin.

The girl squirmed. “Some of us – uh, we were wondering… Could we get a picture with you? Maybe?”

Jack was contemplative for a moment, then looked at her. “What’s your dame, sweetheart?”

“A-a-abby,” the girl stuttered.

“Okay,” Jack replied. “Well, Abby, I’be eating right dow, but how about this. As soon as I’be done, I’ll give you… five binites, and you can take all the pictures you want.” He glanced at David. “Who dohs? I bet if you ask nicely, Captain Shepherd will get id on it, too.”

The girl gasped. “Thank you!” she squeaked. She rushed back to the counter, where she and two other girls began to squeal.

“Small price to pay for whipped creab and hot fudge,” Jack commented, turning back to David. “Dow, how about that suit?”

“…You’re the boss,” David finally managed to say.

“Excellent,” Jack replied. He dug into his sundae.

This was a side of Jack David wasn’t used to seeing. He knew Major Jack, the quick-talking, decision-making military commander. He knew Palace Jack, who battled with his father and stirred up trouble in court. He was very familiar with the kinetic, womanizing Party Prince who filled the tabloids every week.

But this Jack was different. He was accommodating with working-class Shiloh citizens, without any posturing or showboating. He was going to give them time out of his day to talk to them and let them photograph him. He flirted with the female workers in an innocuous offhand manner, making them feel special without giving them the wrong impression. Was he always like this away from the cameras, away from the pressures of the palace? Is this how he acted when he wasn’t surrounded by people’s expectations? David liked this Jack, the one that played nice with the common folk and liked French fries. He still felt cautious, but overall, David was impressed.

Part 5, everybody! Thanks for reading!

“There,” Jack said, adjusting the jacket Shepherd had on. “How does that feel?”

“Uh, good,” the young soldier replied.

“Yeah?” Jack said. “Dot too tight in the shoulders?”

“No, it’s fine,” Shepherd told him.

“Good,” Jack said. He turned to the salesman. “Captaid Shepherd’s going to deed a tie.”

“Yes, sir,” the man said with a nod. He scurried away.

“You really didn’t have to do this,” Shepherd told Jack yet again. “I know you’re not feeling –”

“Dever bind how I’m feeling,” Jack replied. “I told you dot to worry about it – I’be dot as incapable as people think I ab.” He pressed his finger to his nose and sniffled. His headache had gotten a little worse, and he was more stuffed up than he’d been this morning, but it was nothing Jack couldn’t handle. He looked Shepherd up and down. “You’ll deed shoes, too.”

“I have good shoes,” David pointed out.

“Browd shoes – this is a black suit,” Jack responded. There was a tickle in his throat; he turned to the side and coughed a few times.

The salesman returned with an array of ties. “Do you have this id red?” Jack asked, selecting one. “A dark red?”

“One moment, sir,” the salesman said, tearing off again.

“Those people at the Ice Cream Shack will sure have a story to tell their families,” Shepherd commented.

“Yes,” Jack said. “It’s a little sad – the highlight of your day is standing dear a particular persod?”

“Not a person – a prince,” Shepherd insisted. “You have no idea what that means to people.”

Jack, of course, understood the ins and outs of royalty and its implications far more than Shepherd did, but he didn’t bother pointing that out. He leaned against the wall, looking at Shepherd in his new suit. While it was a bit disconcerting that the average member of the court came to Jack only for clothing advice, it was good to get out of the palace and away from the queen’s prying, disapproving eyes. In Jack’s opinion, a grown man coming down with a cold shouldn’t given anyone cause for alarm, and it certainly shouldn’t warrant a lecture from said grown man’s mother.

The banquet, of course, would be thoroughly unpleasant. Jack was well versed in the rules he and his family had to follow when all eyes were on them. He knew that tomorrow evening would be a long night filled with overly rich food, forced conversation with heads of state and wealthy citizens who believed themselves to be important, and above all, making every effort to convince people that he felt fine, despite his actual state. His mother would hover periodically, reminding him to stand up straighter or not to rub his nose. And at the end of the evening, even if Jack pulled off the charade without a hitch, the most acknowledgement he could hope for was, “That could have gone worse.”

“It looks good, you think?” Shepherd said suddenly. Jack looked up.

“Yes, very good,” Jack replied with a light sniffle. “It’s a top-quality brand, and the fit seebs just right. Sure to catch by sister’s attedtion.”

Shepherd got flustered at this, as Jack knew he would. “I, uh… well… I’m sure the princess has much more important people to be looking at.”

Jack closed his eyes as he rubbed his forehead. “Whatever you say.” The lights in the store were too bright – they hurt his eyes. “Will you be deeding a ride sobewhere after this, or…?”

“Oh, no!” Shepherd said quickly. “No, I can take a cab – you’ve already done enough.”

“All right,” Jack said. He was relieved. He suddenly felt rather tired, and he looked forward to returning to the palace and taking a nap. He cupped his hands over his mouth. “Hah-CHIOOO!”

Shepherd stiffened. “I…” he stammered. “Uh…”

Jack chuckled slightly. “It’s all right,” he replied. “You cad say it – ‘God bless you.’”

“G-god bless you,” Shepherd said, fiddling with his collar. Jack resisted the urge to roll his eyes.

Jack’s feelings toward Shepherd had mellowed of late. Since the mission they’d carried out in Gath together, when Shepherd had saved Jack from a rebel’s knife, Jack had felt a certain responsibility to at least tolerate the man, if not respect or like him. However, he had to admit he enjoyed watching Shepherd falteringly navigate the court’s many rules of decorum. “You all right there?” Jack asked, amused. “You look as if you’re being interrogated.”

“It, it just feels strange,” Shepherd said, keeping his eyes on his reflection and not on Jack. “Blessing my prince when –”

“Yes,” Jack interrupted. “Well, you’d be surprised at just how bany of the trappings of everyday existence touch by life. I experience bany of the sabe things you do, Shepherd, it’s just od a very different scale.”

“Oh?” Shepherd said. He snuck a look at Jack now. He was intrigued, Jack could tell.

“We’re dot as godlike as the people bay believe,” Jack said. “By dose stuffs up just the sabe as yours, and by sdeezes are just as buch in deed of blessing.” He coughed into his fist.

The salesman reappeared then. “Sir,” he said, holding out a red silk tie.

“Ah!” Jack said, immediately putting on the face he used with members of the service industry. “Excellent. Bring the captaid a garment bag, please – we’re ready to purchase.”

“Right away,” the salesman said. Jack produced his credit card.

“Oh, no…” David started.

“Don’t be absurd,” Jack replied. “That suit is worth at least a bonth’s rent for the broob closet you’re calling ad apartbedt.” He was so stuffed up; he grimaced.

David gave an awkward half-bow. “Thanks,” he said.

“Right,” Jack replied. He turned to his men. “I think we’re about fidished here. Bring the car aroud.” His driver nodded and disappeared. Jack coughed, leaning against the wall. He was glad they were almost through. His throat was really starting to ache, and he was tired. He winced.

“Are you all right?” Shepherd asked, standing at Jack’s side.

Jack flashed a manufactured smile. “Just a sore throat,” he said. “I’ll be fide.”

Shepherd frowned. “You know, when my brothers and I would sick, my mother always used to make ginger tea.”

All right. Enough tolerating for one day. “Edjoy the suit,” Jack said. “I should get going. The palace beckods.” Wriggling his nose a little, he left Shepherd and retrieved his credit card from the salesman. “The queen thanks you,” he told the man. “If the captain had showd up to the palace wearing a suit he’d picked out himself, by mother might have suffered a breakdowd.”

“Anything for the queen, sir,” the salesman said.

Jack nodded and returned to his men. “Cobe on,” he said. He slipped on his sunglasses and stepped outside, giving a few persistent photographers a disinterested pose. His bodyguards guided him to the car, and he climbed into the back, stretching out his legs. “Let’s get out of here,” he murmured wearily.

Part 6. Kinda short, but I like it.

Jack awoke coughing into his pillow. He buried his face in it, groaning a little. His throat really hurt, and his head was pounding. He wasn’t sure how long he’d been sleeping, but his nap had only seemed to leave him worse off. He groped around on his nightstand for the box of tissues he’d retrieved from the bathroom. “Heh-shuhhh! Heh-ih-CHIUHHH! Ehshuhh!” Wonderful. Jack blew his nose and then flopped back down onto the mattress, dropping the tissue on the floor.

Jack wondered vaguely what time it was. Had he been asleep for a half-hour? An hour? Six? It didn’t really matter – a lot of good it had done him. He felt awful. The queen would be furious.

Lying there, lost beneath his blankets, Jack thought of Joseph. Jack missed him on the best of days, but now, when he was so uncomfortable and with a foul mood brewing, the loss of his boyfriend was sharply felt.

A faint smile of remembrance played at Jack’s lips as he thought of the last time he’d come down with a cold. He wasn’t feeling as sick as he felt now – he’d gone out to a party and stayed up too late, getting a bit drunk and probably spreading his cold to half the women there – and he’d showed up at Joseph’s a little after one…

“Jack,” he said, surprised. “I wasn’t sure you were coming.”

“Don’t be ridiculous,” Jack told him fondly. “As if addy of them could hold a caddle to you.” He turned and coughed into his shoulder.

Joseph was at his side immediately. “Are you all right?” he asked with concern. “Here, sit down.”

“It’s dothing,” Jack insisted as Joseph sat him down on the ottoman. “I have a cold.”

“What?” Joseph said. “Why didn’t you come here first?”

Jack gave him a look. “I thought it was obvious – it’s dot exactly romantic. Ah-SHOOO!” He clapped a hand over his mouth as he sneezed.

Joseph clucked his tongue in sympathy as he bent down to feel Jack’s forehead. “You’re a little warm,” he said. “You should stay tonight.”

“Are you kidding?” Jack asked.

“No, it’s fine!” Joseph assured him. “I’ll make sure we’re up well before dawn, so you can get out before anyone sees you.”

Jack frowned, very drowsy and a little confused. “Doh, I bent – why would you want be to stay?”

Joseph chuckled. “Now who’s being ridiculous?” he asked. “It’s so I can take care of you, stupid.” He gently kissed the top of Jack’s head. Jack let his eyes close – everything was so right when it was dark and they were alone. He gave Joseph a drowsy smile.

“Now that’s more like it,” Joseph said. “Come on – let’s get you to bed…”

There was a knock on Jack’s door, and Michelle poked her head in. “Hey, Jack, it’s…” She trailed off with a frown. “You’re in bed?” she asked.

Jack immediately sat up, straightening his hair. “What is it?” he asked. His voice was low, and a little scratchy.

“Mother sent me looking for you – Cook is ready to serve dinner,” Michelle explained dismissively as she strode to his bedside. “Are you all right?”

“I’be fide,” Jack told her as he tried to swallow the loneliness Joseph’s absence had left behind.

“Are you sure?” Michelle asked. “You look –”

“I’be fide!” Jack repeated firmly. Unfortunately, his nose picked that moment to bother him. “Ah… heh…” Michelle reached over to the tissue box. “Eh-SHIUHHH!” Jack held the tissue to his nose for a moment and sighed. He had no desire to make eye contact with his sister. “Tell Buther I’ll be dowd id bidite.”

Michelle bit her lip. “Jack…”

“Go od,” Jack told her. As soon as he heard the door close, he blew his nose unhappily and dropped his weary head into his hands.

Part 7. It's really short, so I'll post Part 8 as well.

“I can’t say I was disappointed when Mr. Melknap returned to his hotel,” Michelle commented. “I know he means well, but he always comes across just the slightest bit conceited.”

Her mother frowned. “Conceited?” she said. “My, that’s a fine euphemism for ‘pompous windbag.’”

Michelle nearly choked on her wine. “Mother!”

“When I’m in Mr. Melknap’s presence, I’m a saint,” the queen said, fixing a loose strand of hair. “When I’m not, I can say what I please.” Her eyes wandered to Jack as she cut her salmon. “You look very pale.”

Jack looked down at his plate sullenly. “It’s the light,” he said quietly. He had a finger pressed to his nose.

“What’s wrong?” the queen asked pointedly. “Do you have to sneeze?”

“Doh,” Jack replied. He grimaced at the sound of his voice.

Michelle’s mother wasn’t satisfied. “Is your nose running?”

Jack wiped his nose quickly and picked up his fork. “It’s fide.”

“You haven’t eaten much,” the queen pointed out.

“Mother,” Michelle spoke up, “I was wondering – for Father’s banquet, are we going to have lilies or lilacs?”

“Lilies,” her mother said distractedly. “White ones. You’re very quiet tonight, Jack.”

Michelle searched for another topic. “Mother…”

“Save it, Michelle,” the queen said. “I know what you’re trying to do, and it’s admirable, but I’m not fooled.” She refilled her wine glass. “You’re going to bed early tonight,” she instructed Jack.

Jack sighed. “I doh.”

“Really, Jack,” she went on, “with so many looking to the royal family as your father makes his return…”

“I doh,” Jack repeated. He coughed into his napkin. The queen sighed heavily.

Michelle shot her brother a sympathetic smile. If he noticed, he gave no indication; he just kept picking at his food. She felt a little sorry for Jack sometimes. When she’d been young, Michelle’s poor health had monopolized her parents’ attention. Not that she’d been undeserving – the illness had been severe, and Michelle believed she wouldn’t have survived it without her parents’, particularly her father’s, support. But as a result, Jack had been left out.

Jack had never had Michelle’s serious health problems, but since childhood, he’d had a tendency to catch bad colds. With Michelle’s troubles taking priority, the king and queen had never given Jack much consideration or sympathy when he’d gotten sick, and it was a habit that unfortunately continued. It seemed unfair that one sick child should be tended to at the expense of another.

“Heh-CHIUHHH!” Jack turned away from the table and caught a sneeze in his cupped hands.

“God bless you,” Michelle said sympathetically.

“Yeah,” Jack replied. He picked up his napkin and dabbed at his nose, sniffling.

The queen shook her head. “When I think of the preparations I went through…”

Jack rose suddenly, pushing his chair back. “You doh, I’be dot really hungry,” he said. He turned and walked away stiffly.

And here's Part 8.

The kitchen was bare of its usual morning players, save Jack. An advantage to catching a cold and evidently bringing shame upon his entire family was that no one woke him in the morning, and he was able to sit at the table and eat cold cereal without anyone scrutinizing him.

Today was the day. The king’s banquet. Within the hour, the kitchen, the banquet hall, and the rest of the palace would be swimming with staff, all marching perfectly in time to the queen’s command. Foreign ambassadors, influential Gilboans, and other Very Important People would descend on the palace to dine and hobnob and rejoice in the fact that they were the elite. Jack’s father would make his entrance, and they would all fall over one another to kiss his ass. They’d done this many times before.

Thomasina entered the kitchen then. “You’re awake, sir,” she said. Jack nodded. “How are you feeling?”

“I’ve bed better,” Jack admitted with a sniffle. He rubbed the bridge of his nose.

“Sinus pain, sir?” Thomasina asked. “I hope you haven’t developed an infection.”

“Doh, just a headache,” Jack assured her.

Thomasina nodded quietly. She moved to the sink and filled a glass with water. She brought it to Jack and held out her hand; two aspirin lay in her palm. Jack took them, put them in his head, and swallowed a drink of water. “Thadks,” he said. He cupped his hands over his mouth as he began to cough. It hurt his throat and his chest.

“Would you like me to fetch the physician?” Thomasina asked.

“Doh,” Jack said. “Doh, I’be all right.” He looked down at his bowl. He’d only finished half his cereal, but he wasn’t hungry for the rest of it. He pushed his chair back and stood up.

Thomasina picked up Jack’s bowl and brought it to the sink. “You have strict orders from the queen to rest until the banquet,” she said. “Anything you need, you’re to contact one of your men. They’ve all been instructed to keep their phones on. The queen recommends texting, to save your voice for tonight.”

Jack nodded. “Right.” It irritated him that a head cold could knock him out so thoroughly; he’d only been up for twenty minutes, and he had no arguments about going back to bed. “I’ll save by shower udtil this evening.”

“Sounds practical, sir,” Thomasina said. She glanced at the door. “The kitchen staff will be focused on the banquet, but if you’d like, I can probably convince someone to take a few moments and make you some soup.”

“That’s all right,” Jack replied. “I’ll just h… heh… Ih-SHUHHH!” He turned his head and sneezed hard into his shoulder.

“Bless you, sir,” Thomasina responded automatically.

“Thadks,” Jack replied. “I’ll have wod of by guys pick sobething up for be.”

“Very well,” Thomsina said. “If you change your mind, you know how to reach me.” Her phone vibrated, and she looked at it. “The queen,” she said. “Excuse me.” She strode out of the kitchen.

After refilling his water glass, Jack returned to his room. He made a face at the sight – dirty clothes at the foot of the bed, used tissues on the floor. He sometimes thought having a cold wouldn’t be quite so bad if it weren’t for the mess.

But no matter. Jack would deal with it later, or have someone else clean it up for him. Now, he set his water on the nightstand and crawled back into bed. He let his thoughts drift…

Joseph and Jack sat on the bed together. Joseph was rubbing Jack’s shoulders affectionately. “Is there anything I can get you?” he asked.

“Doh, I’be all right,” Jack told him.

“You sure?” Joseph asked. “Are you hungry at all?”

“Doh,” Jack repeated. “I had wod of by guys pih… Eh-Shooo!” He sneezed into the crook of his arm, turning away from Joseph. “…Pick be up a habburger earlier,” he finished, sniffling. “I’be good. I’be just tired.”

A sweet smile played at Joseph’s mouth. “I think we can fix that,” he said. He kissed Jack’s right temple and pushed the covers back.

Jack hesitated. “Id your bed?” he asked.

“Well, sure,” Joseph replied. “What – did you think I was going to put you on the floor?”

“Thed, where are you going to sleep?” Jack asked.

Joseph brushed Jack’s cheek lightly. “Right here,” he said, “with you.”

“Oh, doh,” Jack said, rising to his feet. “That’s dot a good idea.”

“Why not?” Joseph protested. “Jack, what’s wrong?”

Jack sighed, rubbing his temples as he turned away from Joseph. “It’s just that I’be going to be coughing and sdeezing, and it’s going to keep you up, add you shouldn’t be so close to be – I’be going to give you by cold, add…”

“Hey!” Joseph said, taking Jack by the shoulders. “Hey, don’t worry about that. I just want you to feel better. Okay?”

“I dod’t wadt to get you sick,” Jack explained quietly.

“And I don’t want you going back to the palace where no one’s even going to take care of you,” Joseph countered.

Jack turned away. “Heh-CHIUHHH!” His shoulders tensed as he sneezed into his cupped hands.

“No arguments – I mean it,” Joseph said. “Now, let’s go.” He gently led Jack back to the bedroom and eased Jack’s aching head onto the pillow. “I’ll wake us before morning,” he promised, lying down beside Jack and wrapping his arms around the prince. He kissed the back of Jack’s neck and they fell asleep like that, on their sides with Jack in Joseph’s arms…

With these memories in his head, Jack slept.

Have a good day - the banquet starts tomorrow!

As Bongo just said, I haven't got the slightest idea of this fandom but your writing skills are awesome. I love this fic and will definitely follow it in the future! Can't wait to read more!

Hello all. Here's Part 9.

Jack stood as if at attention, with his back straight and his hands clasped behind his back. He wore one of his good suits. His hair was carefully styled, his tie was perfect, and his shoes shone smartly.

Aside from that, Jack had done a decent amount of work on his ailing body. A warm shower and a few more aspirin had worked wonders toward taking the edge off of his discomfort, and he’d thoroughly blown his nose until he could speak clearly. Saltwater and tea with lemon had gradually coaxed his voice back to relative normalcy; it was somewhat lower than usual, but there was no scratchiness to give him away.

Jack’s mother looked him over carefully. “Keep your interactions short,” she instructed. “If you feel the need to cough or sneeze, make an excuse and slip away. Excuse yourself regularly to monitor your appearance and your voice. And for the love of all that is good, don’t blow your nose in front of anyone.”

Jack wanted nothing more than to be out of his suit and back in bed, but he smiled at his mother and chuckled slightly. “Please – you act as if I’ve never been sick before.”

“You’ll receive the same plate as everyone else,” the queen went on. “You don’t have to eat all of it, but don’t leave a conspicuous amount.”

“I doh,” Jack replied.

His mother sighed irritably. “Jack,” she warned.

“It’s all right,” he insisted, stepping away from her. He pulled a tissue from his pocket and blew his nose yet again.

“Oh, no,” the queen said, “that won’t do.” He approached Jack and held out a white folded handkerchief.

Jack gave his mother a pained look. “Mother, I hate haddkerchiefs,” he told her. He sniffed. “They always wear out their usefulness far too quickly and just end up feeling wet and unpleasant.”

“Yes, well, princes don’t walk around with used tissues in their pockets,” the queen countered. “Smiling, charming, and handsome – remember? Don’t disappoint me, Jack.”

Thomasina entered. “The press has assembled outside the palace,” she announced. “They’re ready for entrances.” Jack had never understood the point of having to make an entrance at a party taking place in his own home, but his mother couldn’t get enough of them, so he, his mother, and Michelle, flagged by bodyguards, went out a side entrance and walked around to the front of the palace, where a host of photographers, cameramen, and microphone-wielding reporters were ready and waiting for them.

“The royal family approaches,” announced Candice Williamson, one of the gaggle. She cornered Jack at the entrance. “No one on your arm tonight, Jack? Don’t tell me the prince of Gilboa couldn’t get a date.”

Jack gave her his playboy smile. “Well, I’ve been very busy these past few days with, ub…” Dammit. He pressed a finger against his nose and sniffed as discretely as possible. “…Affairs of state.”

Candice raised a disbelieving eyebrow. “Oh?”

“Of course,” he told her. “Why, just yesterday, I was charged with helping our own Captaid Shepherd pick out a suit.”

Candice laughed. “And Gilboa thanks you,” she told him. “The captain arrived not long ago, and he looks very fine.”

“I do what I can for my country,” Jack said. He tried to keep smiling through the barrage of camera shots – the flashes weren’t doing his headache any good. “At any rate, I’be afraid this party kide of snuck up on be.” He willed himself not to wince as he turned away, pretending to be interested in what was happening inside in the palace. With his back turned, he rubbed his nose and sniffled a few times.

“But, uh, why do you ask?” he said, turning back to Candice. He leaned in close to her. “Were you offering your company?”

“Now, Jack,” Candice teased, “how could I keep my unbiased credibility if…?” She trailed off as the irritating tickle in the back of Jack’s throat got the better of him and he coughed, twice, into his fist. A slightly bemused look of surprise crossed her face. “You coming down with a cold, Jack?” she asked.

No good – abandon ship. “Sorry, I’be going to have to cut you off,” Jack said, feigning distraction. “I want to say hello to by cousin before dinner. The queed will have by head if I don’t make nice with hib – you understand.” He hurried inside the palace and veered off from the crowd, slipping into the bathroom.

In the bathroom, Jack could cough in peace, away from his mother’s disapproving glares and the public’s insatiable interest in his family. Trying not to cough in front of the cameras had made Jack’s water and his throat sting. Now, he coughed hard into his hand, resting his other on the counter for support. He found he couldn’t catch his breath and – very carefully, so as not to get his suit wet – he leaned over the sink and drank water from his hand.

When he no longer felt the need to cough, Jack stood in front of the counter, taking long, slow breaths. Naturally, his nose began to tickle at that precise moment. Jack glanced about the room and found a tissue box that some servant had mercifully left there. He plucked a tissue from the box just in time. “Heh-ih-CHUHHH!” he sneezed, the force of it bending him at the waist. By the time he straightened, another irritating sensation flooded his nostrils and he sneezed a wet “Hih-Chiuhh!”

With a groan, Jack grabbed a fresh tissue and blew his nose extremely carefully. He knew that if he rejoined the party and his nose was red, his mother would positively crucify him. He peered at his reflection in the mirror. Not good, but nothing unsalvageable. He definitely looked tired, and someone who knew him well would probably notice the pallor, but the average coattail-riders who came to palace banquets wouldn’t know the difference. “Good eveding,” he said, to test himself. With a grimace, he blew his nose a little bit more, thanking God that he at least didn’t sound scratchy. “Good evening.” Better.

There was a clamor outside – the king must have arrived. With a final deep breath, Jack turned toward the door. Show time.