Sneeze Fetish Forum

It Makes Sense In My Head (SPN - Dean)

Anilkex

So this prompt appeared...and I filled it.

Dean gets loopy on a certain type of cold medicine, but he hasn't had a bad cold in a long time, so they kind of forgot it had this effect on him.

Sam stomps his feet outside the motel room, shaking off the snow and droplets of water that cling to his jacket. Plastic bags rustle as he fits the key in the lock, and lets himself inside. Dean is exactly where Sam left him - curled into a ball, huddled under the blankets.

Sighing with relief, Sam toes off his shoes and pads to the table, carefully setting down everything he bought.

A few days ago, it became clear that Dean caught a bug and was coming down with what promised to be a fairly nasty cold. Sam smugly felt it was long overdue. He’d fallen ill twice in the last year, both times laid up for at least a week. It was simply Dean’s turn.

By this morning, Sam conceded that Dean paid his due, and was now very deserving of some relief. Dean’s fever wasn’t scary high, but it also didn’t waver, sucking all the energy out of him. Congestion left his appetite flat, and no repositioning helped alleviate the discomfort of breathing through his mouth.

They had Tylenol, which didn’t really do much, and there was some cough syrup, but it wasn’t strong enough to combat the drainage down the back of Dean’s throat.

It was time for real cold medicine, regardless of the crappy taste.

The twenty-four hour mini-mart down the street didn’t have much to choose from. They stocked one brand, and in a smaller-than-normal size, forcing Sam to buy two overpriced bottles. Whatever - if it made Dean feel better, then it was worth it.

After hanging his coat on the back of a chair, Sam checks the label on the bottle before measuring out the dose...with a little extra to top it off. He brings it over and sets it on the nightstand, next to small piles of tissues and a cup of water. Sam sighs, settles on his bed with the laptop, waiting for Dean to wake.

xxxxx

It doesn’t take long - Dean can’t sleep for more than an hour or two at a time.

When the rustling starts, Sam looks over, watching his brother toss off the blankets in a stuffed-up huff, and blink repeatedly as his eyes adjust to being open.

“Hey there…” Sam sits on Dean’s bed, trying to get a better sense of how he’s doing. “How’re you feeling?”

Dean yawns. “Shitty.” He pulls the blanket over his face and sneezes. Blanket still covering his face, he adds, “Very shitty.”

Sam nods, and picks up the goo filled cup. “I got some medicine for you. The Tylenol/Cough Syrup routine isn’t working.”

The blanket jostles as Dean starts a fresh round of coughing. Sam waits, also picking up the glass of water.

Eventually, Dean pulls down the blanket, and huffs through his mouth. One look at the green syrup makes his face sour, but he dutifully struggles into a mostly sitting position, waving his hand for the tiny cup. It’s tossed back like a pro, complete with a full facial wince and body shudder at the taste.

Sam hurriedly hands over the glass of water, which is drained in three swallows, followed by another shiver. Dean nods to signify he’s finished, handing back the cup and glass, flopping against the pillows.

He glares at his brother. “Dot fair...dot s’posed t’get sick.”

Shrugging, Sam carries the empty containers to the table and grabs a fresh box of tissues. “Let’s be honest - it was your turn. You’ve been lucky.” He finishes with another shrug, handing over the box. He tries to look diplomatic about it, but the gleeful little brother side somehow seeps through.

Hih’K’Ishhchh! K’RSHHhhh! This sucks…” Oblivious to Sam’s gloating, Dean sneezes into his pillow, groaning from the effort.

Sam nods sympathetically, leaving the box on the nightstand and returning to his bed, pleased that his television show was still on commercial break. Sounds of Dean’s breathing interrupt the dialogue, which ironically, is all about cold medicine.

It was quiet for a while, Sam, for once, taking it easy and just chilling out, watching a Stargate marathon and munching on chips.

The absence of sneezing, coughing, and complaining for the past forty-five minutes are a good sign that Dean’s fast asleep.

“That guy’s so huge.”

Or it isn’t.

Sam’s eyeballs swivel toward his brother before returning to the screen. “Yeah, he is.”

“I mean, if I were that huge, I don’t even think I could play-Hetschhyuu!-pool anymore. We’d have, like, no money. But I’d have muscles. And I don’t know if that’s a fair trade.”

Sam contemplates this, a chip poised to enter his mouth, a frown on his face.

Dean blows his nose, sighs, and settles back against his pillow. Sam lets the chip complete its journey and crunches, shrugging his shoulders and writing off Dean’s goofy comment as one of the goofy things Dean’s always saying.

“Hey, Sam…?”

“Yeah?”

“Just because I like the rainbow marshmallows best in Lucky Charms...that doesn’t...that doesn’t make me gay, does it?” He follows this bombshell with a thunderous sneeze, nonchalantly wiping his nose afterwards. “Because doesn’t the rainbow mean gay stuff?” He sneezes again. “I don’t care that it’s a gay rainbow, I’m just not. Gay. I just happen to really like gay rainbows. Or just rainbows. Sometimes.”

Okay, that was a bit beyond the goofy things Dean’s always saying. Sam replaces the chips he’s holding in the bag and wipes his hands on his jeans. “You okay over there?” Not waiting for an answer, he sets the bag aside and swings his legs to the floor, eyeing his brother for any signs of...anything.

But Dean’s just laying there, looking relaxed, despite the congestion. He coughs a little, waving Sam back to bed. “Yeah - ‘m fine. Why?”

Sam tilts his head, decides to go for the easy answer. “Because you’re sick?”

Dean nods in agreement. “I am sick. Indeed. That guy says indeed all the time.” He lowers his voice when he says indeed. And keeps it lowered. “If I talked like this all the time I’d have a sore throat.” He gives Sam a serious look, continuing in the ridiculous voice. “I’m gonna get me some juice, Sammy. Indeed.”

Then Dean does something Sam’s never heard before.

He giggles.

He giggles, full bodied and throaty, to the point where tears actually stream down his face and breathing becomes a tad difficult, especially with his stuffed up nose.

Sam’s eyes widen, and honestly, the first thought in his head is that Dean somehow got possessed. He flaps a hand at his brother. “I’ll get your juice. Just...stay put.” He gives Dean another quick once-over before heading to the mini-fridge and pulling out a bottle of orange juice.

It’s as he’s walking back to Dean’s bed that it hits him. Dean’s slack-jawed stare, glassy eyes, lip smacking oh my God, he’s stoned. Sam actually stops in the middle of the room, sorting this through. How can he be stoned? The only thing he’s had is...is…

Sam’s eyes dart to the cold medicine on the table. He reads and rereads the brand. And remembers, belatedly (dammit, Sam!), that Dean can’t have that cold medicine, because it makes him -

“Banana juice is weird.”

...loopy.

Sam scrubs a hand over his eyes and down his face. He blames his error on the fact that the stupid jerk hasn’t been sick in over a year, so how’s he supposed to remember intel on brands?

After Dean got you from Stanford and you got that migraine, he remembered exactly what medicine to buy and how to fix it even though it’d been four years since he’d done it.

Sam growls at himself to shut the fuck up, and brings Dean his juice. Dean looks up, smiles, and downs half the bottle immediately. Sam sits on the edge of his bed, rubbing his palms across his thighs. “So. Dean.” Oh, right - and Sam gave him extra. Fantastic. “You should try to get some sleep. Really. Knock this thing out, show it who’s boss.” He smiles, one that borders on begging, because a sleeping Dean can’t say or do shit that’ll make life super uncomfortable. Or dangerous.

Dean wipes his mouth with the back of his hand. “Yeah.” He hands back the bottle, scooting under the covers and sighing.

This is good, Sam thinks. Compliant Dean is good.

“I hated that show.”

Sam raises an eyebrow. “What show?”

“Who’s The Boss.”

“Oh…”

“Pretty sure Angela was a demon.”

Okay.” Sam caps the half-empty bottle, setting it on the nightstand. “Let’s get you all tucked in and ready for sleep.” He winces as soon as the words are out of his mouth, but he’s remembering that it takes a lot of effort to settle Dean once he’s taken this stuff, so he’s gonna say shit like this if that’s what it takes.

“I’m really tired.” Dean yawns wide enough to pop his jaw.

“I know you are.” Sam pulls the blankets up to Dean’s chin, literally tucking him in, thinking that if the blanket’s tight, Dean won’t get out of bed.

“But I’m really lonely, too.”

Aaaaaand Sam freezes, head lolling against his chest in defeat.

Dean nods at the TV. “If I were the McGyver dude, I’d totally bang the chick. She looks like she’d kick ass in bed. Prolly make a great angel warrior.” His voice deepens again. “She’s the best warrior in the garrison, Dean.” He shakes his head, sneezes twice. “Cas needs to gargle or something.”

Sam nods, only half listening to the shit spewing out of Dean’s mouth. He’s more thinking that a surprise visit from Cas would be great right about now. His head snaps up. Yesssss….angel mojo magic powers to flush this evil headcase medicine out of Dean and let Sam get back to relaxing.

Brilliant.

He pats Dean’s chest. “Hey, you know what’d be cool?”

“What, Sammy?”

“If Cas visited us. Like, right now. We could all play a game.”

Dean doesn’t even take his eyes off the television. “I hate games. Too many people lie to me, keepin’...keepin’ secrets. Hidin’ stuff. I can’t...I can’t do games anymore, Sam. Don’t...don’t make me.” He wipes his nose on his sleeve, giving Sam the most badass ramped up Eyes Sam’s ever seen.

Sam fiddles with Dean’s blanket., feeling shitty and uncomfortable and just plain awful.

Memories of the last time Dean was on the night-time meds are flooding back, and while he may have to deal with the stuff coming out of his mouth, he has no intention of sitting up all night to make sure Dean not only stays in the room, but is unarmed.

Speaking of which…

“Soooo….why don’t you…” He actually booped Dean on the nose. “Give Cas a call, and I’ll…make you more comfortable.” Sam sort of fluffs Dean’s pillow, deftly swiping the large knife always stored underneath.

Dean’s nose wrinkles from the boop, but he smiles. He fucking smiles, and looks up at Sam like he’s the most amazing thing in the world. “I really like you.”

Sam ducks the knife behind his back, and tries to look anywhere but at Dean. “I know. And I...uh...I really like you, too.”

Dean goes back to watching the TV. “You shouldn’t. I’m...not a good person.”

Sam’s jaw clenches. The yo-yo of silly to heart wrenching in one second flat is gonna kill him. The worst part of all this, is that everything Dean says? To him, it’s truthful. This isn’t just Dean saying random weird crap; it’s Dean unfiltered and uninhibited.

This isn’t something little brothers are supposed to deal with.

Then maybe try remembering little fucking details like medicine Dean can’t take.

Sighing, Sam takes a really good look at his brother, the face he’s seen more than a million times, and decides...why not?

Engage.

“I disagree. I think you’re an awesome person. A much better person than me, that’s for sure. You’re smart, you’re strong, you’re the best hunter I know. Most of all, you’re...you’re the best brother ever. Hands down. I honestly don’t know what I’d do without you.”

He holds his breath a few seconds, feeling emotionally naked for opening himself like that. Sober Dean would never have let him even finish the second sentence. Sam waits, not sure how Dean will react.

“You like the rainbow mallows too, right?”

Sam laughs. He can’t help it. “Yeah, man, I do.”

“Pretty sure it means you’re gay.”

Sam laughs harder, because that was Dean.

Dean’s hand raises, drops, then raises again as his head snaps forward, sneezing. He rolls his eyes up to Sam. “I don’t feel good. Head’s too fuzzy.”

Face falling, Sam nods. “I know...I’m sorry.” Kicking the Cas plan to the curb, Sam gets up, shuts off all the lights, snags the remote and settles next to Dean in bed. He plops a large box of tissues between them, and sighs. “Let’s just...watch TV, see if you can sleep, and we’ll start over tomorrow.”

Dean nods back, because sure - Sam crawling into bed with him was perfectly normal.

Next commercial break...

”You know...you’d think that all the different colors in the rainbow marshmallow meant that there were different flavors, but it doesn’t. It’s all just…marshmallow flavored.”

“But it’s a marshmallow...how else should it taste?”

“Fruity?”

“You’re weird, Sam.” Pause. “So we’re back to the gay thing, huh?”

WHOOPS - Hit the button too fast. And...wow...It makes sense in my hear?

Let's try HEAD. Makes Sense In My HeaD.

Good griefl.

Also forgot to mention:

1) Thanks to Gingerdean and SexualOddity for beta-ing this one.

2) Contemplating a part two, only Sam's the loopy one.

I'm on a roll, here...

This is so amazing! I love stoned Dean, pity Sam curbed the call-Cas plan. I can just imagine the hilarity and/or warm and fuzzies that could bring.

Omg I'm bawling in laughter tears!!! :rofl: This was too much. All of it was beautiful commentary. Just magnificent!

Loopy Dean.....

Sequel- Loopy Sam......

Yesssssss.......My imagination travels farther from this :D

*Ears prick up*

Loopy Sam, you say?

You know this already, but I think this fic is awesome. I love your writing and how you always bring something deeper and relationship-driven even to a fic that is primarily fun (and you don't sacrifice even an inch of the fun doing it, which is incredible).

Really hilarious writing style! And Sam all uncomfortable? The marshmallow discussion? Dean bouncing between silly and so-honest-it-hurts constantly? This was amazing!

I got to admit that loopy Dean is awesome. :D Although some fo the stuff he said made me a bit teary eyed.... But all in all great work! Thanks for sharing!

LOL This was so fun to read :) Loopy Dean is the best!

I have to agree with zuki, a shame that the Cas plan went to the curb but that was funny nonetheless. I'm on bord with the Loopy Sam story... and.... maybe, loopy Cas after?

Thanks so much for writing this. There can never be enough sick!Dean for me, yum. I have a thing for loopy!Dean too, and the sad stuff he came out with here really got me.

I already told you how fantastic this is...but I'm going to tell you again. This is freaking fantastic. I love it more every time I read it.

I think my favorite part is when the boys are having their super-serious brotherly moment, and Sam is pouring his heart out to Dean, going on and on about what an amazing person he is.

...And then Dean responds with: "You like rainbow mallows too, right?"

LMAO.

Like I said, the balance between the humor and angst in this is absolutely perfect. It's such an emotional roller coaster, yet completely hilarious throughout. So much fun to read.

(And count me in amongst those rooting for a loopy Sam sequel!)

:mf_dribble: <------This was my face when I saw you had a new fic up. I really don't comment on your stories enough, because I love them. All of them. Amazing! Your style is so awesome to read, and you capture the boy's voices so perfectly. Can't wait for more!

P.S - No fair combining my two most favorite fandoms. It took me forever to stop the twitching from geek overload. :boom:

• 2 weeks later...

OMG I'm literally tearing here ROFL. Like seriously the collar of my shirt is soaked. Not making things up, really is. This was absolutely great! Let me go back and re-read before making any sense lol!

Heehee. :) Loopy Dean needs to be cuddled, like, now, preferably by me. And I love how patient Sam is, and really liked the little snippets of his inner monologue. I also think it's pretty realistic and true-to-show how Sam's slightly apprehensive of getting a little too much truth out of Dean and how he thinks "This isn’t something little brothers are supposed to deal with," but ends up being supportive anyway. Very nice! :)

And there's always room for loopy Sam in this world....